Why am I the "stupid" one?

Last year, my son's baseball practice was on Saturdays. They practiced for two hours or so and that was fine because it was weekend. DH decided to coach this year because "he can do a better job coaching". Now DH acts like these kids are in the major leagues, having them practice from 6 to 9 or whenever. I was trying to tell him that its irresponsible to keep 9 year old kids that late on a school night and he shuts the door in my face. I followed his butt outside and finished my conversation. I told him that I care that our kid is eating, taking a bath and getting to sleep so late because of it. Now I'm "acting stupid" because "its only one night a week." Why would a man not think about keeping kids out late on weeknights?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:49 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• That's too late for a 9yo. Heck, I am not happy with the drama teacher because they have drama practice from 7-9 and my son is an 18yo Junior in high school. It interferes with supper time. They have track from 3-5 and the he has drama from 7-9. i think that personally she could have made drama from 5:30-7:30 since all of the kids ar done with their various sports practices by 5. It makes homework time very awkward. And that's for high schoolers. For 3rd-4th graders I would have serious issues with them being at baseball practice until 9p. They then have to bathe, unwind, etc. and are going to go to bed at what, 10 or later? For that age that's just not appropriate. So, no you aren't stupid.

BTW, my husband is former Junior high football coach and he says that's way too long. He says 1 1/2 hours 3 days a week would be more appropriate for 9yo's and baseball practice.

tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 7:57 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• well if its one night a wekk whats the harm? most after school programs and any sports or things like that are at those times. example some cheerleading and especialy gymnastics becasue i did that and dance classes alot of things are like that. your not ""stupid" or "acting stupid" your just concerned but most places i know thats normal if the other parents are okay with it and if not then work with the other parents AND the kids about another day or time.
    chukuku

Answer by chukuku at 6:53 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• How old are the kids? I have to agree that 9 seems a little bit late to keep kids out that late. I usually have my son in bed by that time! Maybe try talking to him when you are both calm and tell him you're concerned for the kids need for a full nights sleep. Do the other parents have a problem with it?
    Anonymous

• Sorry didn't see the age in the post!
    Anonymous

• If it was my kid they wouldn't be allowed to participate. They are long since in bed by 9pm on school nights otherwise they are way too cranky in the morning. All of their after school things have to be done by 7pm or they don't participate at all or skip any events that are after 7pm. I also don't think 3 hour practices are appropriate for 9 year olds. That's overkill and is going to wear the kids out and cause them to not want to be involved.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:57 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• if other moms are having the same problem then yes you have the right to be up set. I would too if my kids were home that late. But if other parents was not having a cow about it try and be calm maybe its a good thing once a week.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 7:02 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• That's way too late for a ( year old to be out at baseball practice. I'm surprised any of the other parents haven't complained yet. If not, they will be soon. I wouldn't allow my child to particpate.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 7:04 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• im with you, 6-9 is too much
    my son has to be in bed at 8
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:04 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Sounds to me like he's either living through these kids, or he's just nuts lol
    summerm

Answer by summerm at 7:06 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• From 6 until 9??? I'm sorry, but that's crazy! There's no way I'd let my child participate in any sport that practiced for that long on a school night. They have homework, bath time, reading time, etc. I could see maybe practicing for an hour and a half 2 nights a week, but not 3 hours at one time. Maybe other parents will start complaining and he will be forced to change it. You should try to talk to him again when you both are a bit more calm.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:07 PM on Apr. 15, 2009