More MIL(bf's mom) problems, in need of advice

UGH this woman is driving me nuts! The most recent incident was like this-
She taught my 7.5 month old son to fake cough. Now he does it when he gets mad or excited and makes himself throw up, so we asked her to please not do it anymore. She says whatever and so Bf totally fliped because he knows she never listens to me when i ask her not to do something. He used to just stay back and let me go but now it's getting so bad that he's getting in on it too.
Every time i ask her not to do something she just giggles and blows me off. It's getting to the point where I don't even want her around my baby. But she is telling the rest of her family that I'm so rude and blah blah blah. I really try my hardest to be nice to her. I have to tell her 6 times, then I get mad. If i don't let her see the baby she is going to freak out and go telling her family how I'm such a horrible person that doesn't let her see her grandson.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:16 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just a FYI...all baby's learn to fake cough. if she taught him to fake cough and that's biggest issue you have, then you should be thankful. Grandparents always do things that parents would rather them not.....get over it
    Anonymous

• You need to leave this up to your BF. This is his mother and his responibility. He should tell her that YOU are his mother and YOU decide what is best for the baby and if she continues to do this and show you no respect and disobeys your wishes then she is not allowed to see the baby. Sorry, but that is how it goes. YOU are the one who is in control of the baby's life and so YOU should have every right to cut off contact if she doesn't listen to you. Don't cut off contact with her just b/c you don't like her, but because she doesn't listen to your rules. Your man needs to lay down the law. You are the woman in his life now, not her. She is just going to have to deal with it.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 7:22 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Well, if she were just "some person" you knew who was doing this, you would have cut all contact by now!

Why does family think they are immune from good manners and courtesy? She is deliberately pissing you off. You don't have to take it anymore.

If her family believes her side of the story, who cares? They're not anyone you'd want to be around either.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• fake cough is not that bad. It's not like my MIL tried to give my kids beer, Now that is bad. And she is a real bitch and I have cut her off. My kids are 26-years old so will choose if they want to see her or not. But I guess I should say that my daughter has stopped talking to her too.
    I think you just do not like her? but you do have to make her respect you. Just tell her it is not a big deal but I just do not like it and I would like it if you would respect me.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 7:30 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• It's not so much the cough but the reaction she had to you asking her to stop. The normal response would be oh ok sorry or I didn't think it would hurt or I didn't mean to. But instead it was like she was challenging you. Put that hefer in check. If she's laughing and dissing you about something as little as this, what is she going to do when it's something serious? But you also gotta pick and choose your battles wisely. You can't pop off at every little thing. But like I said, let your man do the talking when it comes to his momma.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 8:47 PM on Apr. 15, 2009