5 and 3 years old, and never been on antibiotics...

Am I the only one who thinks that antibiotics are being way over used? My children are 5 and 3 and have never been on antibiotics. They have not been sick with anything that their own immune systems couldn't handle. They rarely, if ever, get sick at all. A runny nose here and there, mostly due to allergies.

Now I understand that some kids have weak, or underdeveloped immune systems, and I understand that some kids are prone to things like ear infections, but how do you expect their immune systems to get any stronger, if you are constantly supplementing it with antibiotics? It just doesn't make any sense to me when I see women rush their kids to the doctor anytime they sneeze or cough. I just don't get it.

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 7:21 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Kids' Health

• What is your question
    Anonymous

• i partly agree with you
    they are over used
    and every lil sniffle doesnt require a dr trip
    but ex my son had a lot of servere ear infections, so he was on a lot of antibiotics
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:23 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I agree with you. My children are 7 and 4. The 4 year old was on antibiotics as a precautionary measure when he was born prematurely, but other than that neither child have ever needed them. If it were necessary, sure... it just hasn't been. Their immune systems are healthy. Not all ear infections demand the use of antibiotics, either. It all depends on the severity.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• What is your question

Am I the only one who thinks antibiotics are being way over used?

What, did the question mark at the end of the sentence throw you for a loop anon?
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 7:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• This doesn't sound like a question, more like you are voicing your opinion.
    Anonymous

• My kids are 6 and 2, and have been on them about 1 time each their entire life.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Ginger0104, I agree that there are situations where antibiotics are necessary, even essential. But my husband's ex wife, takes my step-son to the doctors for every little thing. My step-son seems like he is taking them every other month. Eventually they will just stop being effective for him, due to over use.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 7:30 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I do agree, but at the same time some kids simply seem more prone to infection. My son was not on antibiotics until he was five- at that point he came down with community-acquired pneumonia and had to be treated. Since then he has been on antibiotics twice more- once for scarlet fever and once for a second bout of pneumonia. My middle child will be five in June and still has never been on antibiotics. My youngest, however, is only two and has already been on antibiotics two or three times- the first for bronchitis (she was also on two inhalers, she was wheezing and gasping for air and it was very fightening!) and the second for an ear infection that had her feverish and screaming in pain. She just has not been as lucky as the other two. I think for me the key is I trust my doctor- I know she rarely hands out antibiotics and I trust that if she gives me the rx, my kids truly need it.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:30 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I wouldn't know. I don't keep track of what other people do with their kids. My kids (8 1/2, 7 1/2, 6 1/2 and 3) have never been on antibiotics. They've never even been sick enough to go to the doctor for anything but well visits (the older kids had a couple sick visits but they were silly things like pink-eye and one virus).

Over use of antibiotics is not a new thing. When I was a kid I got penicillin for EVERYTHING. It didn't matter what was making me sick they gave me penicillin. By the age of 10 I was allergic to it. Now I have to be careful with what antibiotics I take.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

And why can't I do both?
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 7:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2009