Question for Methodists and/or Catholics

My dh's cousin passed away last week. My dh is Catholic and so am I. This cousin was my dh's mom's sister's son. I thought my MIL was Catholic, and assumed her sister was too. The funeral is at a Methodist church, so I guess the cousin and his parents are Methodist. (confusing? sorry) I wanted to get a Mass Card for the family, at our church (which is Catholic). My dh's aunt (who is a devout Catholic)just told me that I MUST NOT do that, because the cousin was Methodist. Okay I guess I can understand that, but there IS Catholic somewhere down the family lines. And besides that, of course they don't have to attend the mass I was just being considerate and wanted to have a mass said in his name.
So, should I or shouldn't I? I certainly do not want to offend the grieving family! I don't know them very well, but they are my dh's relatives.
What else can I do? Do Methodists have Memorial Masses?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• That's kind of neato, actually. I would still ask whoever is in charge of planning things whether or not they would mind and go from there - if you want to have a mass said in memorium of the cousin, I'm sure there's no reason why you can't do that, I would just ask as to whether it would be appropriate to involve the rest of the family, if you kwim - seeing as they're not Catholic. But those of you who are, I don't see why you couldn't remember or honor him in your way as well.
    I think its a beautiful and caring thought, and it can't hurt to ask!
    =D
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Methodists don't have "masses", at least not in the 12 years I've been one.... They might do a Memorial Service (which is almost the same thing, although Catholics and Methodists are different), but I'm not sure even what a Mass Card is (sad, too, cause I was Catholic for a while as a child - baptized Catholic and all that), but if your DH's aunt is and is telling you not to do it, I'd take her advice (especially if she's closer related to the cousin), because, as a Methodist, that's all foreign to me, and I don't know if it would be or not to your Methodist family... You might just want to let whoever is handling everything just handle it - or you might ask whoever it is what they think - they might appreciate the thought, or it might be so foreign to them they might not want you to. They might want to keep it in accord to their way of faith, kwim? I wish I was more help, but I really do hope you get the answers you need!
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:30 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• You can have a mass said in memorium of someone. At the beginning of the mass, the priest will say soemthing like 'this mass is being offered for the reposed soul of ________" Or something like that. You go to the church and request this, then they give you a card to give to the family which has the date and time the mass will be. That's what mass card means.
    Anonymous

• Methodists don't have mass, although their services sometimes closely resemble mass, LOL. I think anything you do in love won't be turned down or frowned upon, at least it wouldn't by any of the Methodists I know.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:35 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I'm Jewish and when my dad died my best friend, who is Catholic, sent a mas card to me. I wasn't offended. She was expressing her sypathy in a way familiar to her. I appreciated that she thought enough of me to do that.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:31 AM on Apr. 16, 2009