Flintstones Vitamins Instead of Prenatal Vitamins....

My SIL said that her whole pregnancy ( she is due May 7th) she did not take prenatal vitamins because they made her sick, so she would take 2 Flintstone vitamins daily instead. Is this normal practice? Has anyone done this? She just left me thinking .....WHY??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You need folic acid and that's what prenatal vitamins have in them. If they make you sick then eat more foods that have folic acid in them like spinach. But you really need to be taking those, you can also take other vitamins as long as the doctor oks it first.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 7:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• because drs tell you to if prenatles make you sick ... tons of women do it
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• That is what I thought, but she eats nothing but junk food...I dont know what to think about this being that she is basically due in less then a month, I just hope the baby is okay...
    Anonymous

• if the baby wasnt drs would had been worried by now ...
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I am sure back in the day, there were no such things as prenatals, so I am guessing its no big deal, we are all still surviving human beings.........
    Anonymous

• I dont think the Doctor knows...she claims that she is still using prenatals...
    Anonymous

• Lots of women can't take regular prenatals either because they can't keep them down, some have no health insurance and flat out can't afford it. OB/GYN's frequently tell women to substitute 2 Flinstone with iron vitamins each day. They have otherwise healthy babies all the time.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• the vitamins doesnt matter. as long she is taking soemthing what i ment is if the baby wasnt healthy they would know by now .. tests and ultra sounds show alot.. and alot i mean alot of women take flinstones. i take them and my baby is just fine . also alot of women eat nothing but chips and burgers when pregnant all that happens really is they get fat .. they end up with perfectly fine babies ...
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:30 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• i took flinstones because the prenatals that my doctor prescribed me made me sneeze all the time. so i took 2 flintstones a day plus expecta which has the DHA and OMEGA-3s that my dd needed. in fact i still take them while im nursing
    taleasoldastime

Answer by taleasoldastime at 7:34 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• All my dr's w all 3 of my pregnancies(and ive seen more than 3 dr.s) have told me flinstones are ok
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 7:34 PM on Apr. 15, 2009