Is this stuttering or something else?

My 3 1/2 yr old does this weird thing when he talks. It's like stuttering, but he adds sound in between words, like "Diego and the tick-a-tick-a humpback whale" The sounds are nothing close to what he is trying to say, so its not like stuttering on a word.

gatheringdust

Asked by gatheringdust at 7:23 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Stuttering comes in many forms not just the traditional repeating the first sound in a word way we all think of. It could be a more unusual form of stuttering. If that's what it is, stuttering can be treated with speech therapy and most outgrow it with help.

Not having heard your son speak, and not being an expert on the subject... I would definitely get an expert to evaluate him, especially if it's getting worse. Speech problems (and even if its not a speech related issue) are easier to treat the earlier they are caught.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 8:51 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• It could be something else or he could just be mimicking something. Do other people notice it?  How long has he been doing it? I would talk to the pediatrician and maybe get a referral.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:46 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• ur dr will mention something. or call ur local AEA. also when they start kindergarden they will have a speech therapist come in and they will tell u.
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 8:26 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• He's been doing for a while, but it's getting worse. It's very noticeable. I'm talking to my doc about it soon. i just wasn't sure if it was something someone else would know about.
    gatheringdust

Answer by gatheringdust at 8:38 PM on Apr. 15, 2009