My hubby's cat... drives me nuts!

Let me start off by saying I was always a dog person, my father was extremely allergic to cats growing up so I've only had dogs... well now I'm married and this is my first time living with a cat.
I just never knew the crazy things had so much energy, but its driving me crazy! My dog is part terrier.. I understand energetic.. but this crazed animal runs from one side of our living room, jumps on the sofa, zooms across the coffe table, and attacks our doorways... it's like the cat is on some kitty cocaine.
Maybe I'm envious of his energy, b/c I have to deal with a newborn and 2yr old.. but the kitty chaos stresses me out. He attacks the blind and jumps up on the crib.. I love him, he cuddles, he's amazing asleep! lol. Some days I just want to feed him to the dogs (not that I actually would). Basically what I want to know are there ways to curb his craziness? Or recommendations to curb my stress? Is my cat the only loony?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Pets

• I cat just wants to play if you buy a lazar pointer and play with him (idk durning feeding time for the NB) that should calm him down. And you dont have to do much that way just hold the button down. But make sure the dog is not in the same room.
    Sbahns

Answer by Sbahns at 7:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• The cat has the "evening crazies" as I used to call them. This phenomenon happens after some really good naps in the daytime...they are up in the evenings and have energy to burn. You need a really good supply of interesting cat toys. Get a tall cat tree for him to climb and hang out on. It's an instinct for them to climb and they need to be up high! Some cats mellow out on catnip, so maybe try some of it.

I've had cats all my life and know when they are young they are just as busy as a terrible two toddler! Some outgrow this hyper stage, but others are just naturally rambunctious into their senior years.

If push comes to shove, you might need to send kitty to a room of his own for part of the day.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:34 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Anon that posted ?:

Really catnip might work? We have the laser pointer, maybe he is a little bored. We can't afford a cat tower yet, but I guess I could get him some more toys... How do I keep him off the crib? I hate that cats find baby gates fun and not an obstacle. Or a means of keeping them out of somewhere.. like the nursery.
    Although I swear he gets in these moods only when hubby is not in the room or away. It could be in the morning or afternoon, his craziness has no clock. Like now, hubby is home and he's angelic kitty.
    Anonymous

• He needs things to climb. You don't HAVE to buy a fancy cat tree. You can bang a log or sturdy piece of wood onto a wide wood base and wrap it with rope or cover it with a carpet scrap (I'm sure you can get scrap for free at a carpet store if you ask). Heck, a carpet scrap nailed to a wall would do fine too. If you had some sturdy cardboard boxes you can make a cat climber out of that.

Also, rotate toys. Keep some toys in a container with some catnip and every so often give the cat the catnip infused toys and put the used toys in the catnip. It keeps the cats interested with new things.

Cats also like boxes and paper bags.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:10 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Thanks for the feedback, I'm going to get hubby to build something for the feline terror, and run by the store today for the toys.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Apr. 18, 2009