I have a little brother that is 3 that is a nightmare. Whats the best way to deal with/punish him toget him to listen and act right?

Hes 3 and he never listens and tests us when we tell him not to do something. He wont potty train, he wont pick up his toys when asked to, has no respect for anyone, and much more. : / My Stepfather does baby him and never punishes him until my little brother either hurts himself or someone else. My mother is at a lost and cant figure out what to do anymore. She has tired timeout, whipping him (though she tries not to), and even taking something he likes away (like his toys or his tv). Shes willing to try anything now.

NewMommy2588

Asked by NewMommy2588 at 7:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Consistency. If he wont pick them up after 3 times of being told pick them up and put them in a trash bag and tell him they are going in the trash and hide them from him. Take away the diapers and pull ups and put him on the toilet every hour until he goes. Don't put up with it. Put him in a room all alone with no toys if he can't be nice. Put him in the corner, keep him inside and don't let him have extra snack and things. If your not all willing to work together to break it then it will never work. It only takes 1 person to encourage or ignore the behavior for him to know he can get away with it. You all need to come up with a plan and stick to it.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 7:40 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Time outs work really well for my son
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 8:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• When he won't pick up. Pick up with him. Alternate the neg. consequences with positive. BE CONSISTANT across the board. Make some rules and stick to them and that is that.
    Also can try turning somethings into a game so that they are fun rather than hard to do. Make sure that what you are expecting is reasonable (a 3 yr. old can't pick up a ton of things). No new toy goes out until the toy you are using gets put away. And supervise the pick up until he gets it down.
    NO HURTING -- we keep our hands to ourselves, our feet on the floor (Rule #4) etc. and the SECOND he breaks it -- down to his level. WE DON'T _____. You have a 3 min. time out. And follow through. EVERYONE EVERYTIME.
    good luck
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:40 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I have a 4 y o and a 2 y o. I also will get a trash bag and treaten to throw all the toys that are on the floor away. It usually works but if they are being stubborn that day then I put the toys in the bag and tell them when they decide to listen and put them away then they can have them back. i don't expect them to get it spotless cause they are little but I do expect them to listen and make an effort. When they do make an effort I usually will help them. Try not to give in you have to make them understand that you are incharge, if they feel the slightest bit that you are vulnerable they will take advantage. No matter how much they throw a fit about something just remain calm and stick to it. if you are not calm, they will feed off of it.
    KL24

Answer by KL24 at 1:17 PM on Apr. 16, 2009