Help, New Mommy, colicky baby! What can I do?

I am a new mommy to a beautiful 3 week old baby girl. As of 2 weeks ago every night & afternoon she has crying fits 15 mins after she eats. I increased her food to
3 ounces from 2 1/2, she does not spit up & the only time she appears to be happy & quiet is when she is sleeping or first thing in the morning. I am trying to keep my sanity, I just want her happy/ Is it gas? should I change the formula?

allymommy324

Asked by allymommy324 at 7:28 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just because she is crying does not mean it is Colic.

It very may well be the formula, or gas. Try giving gas drops right before her feeding - it will help her burp. If that is not it, try a more gentle formula - my daughter had to be on Emfamil Gentlease for the first 4-6 months due to a slight lactose intolerance.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Try the gas drops. Give them to her before you feed her. Possible try a new position to burp her. Try laying her across your legs with her legs hanging off yours so there is more pressure on her stomach and make small circles and pat upwards. IF she eats really fast slow her down by taking the bottle away. You can also mix a peppermint candy in a little warm water and let her drink it. I would try the gas drops and a new burping method first.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 7:35 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Give her some Mylicon drops and see if that helps. My oldest had colic and it was hell, she screamed 24/7 and slept for an hour total and not in a 1 hour stretch either.

Congratulations on your new baby girl!!
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 7:41 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• If none of the gas drops work, try Colic Calm. www.coliccalm.com
    It was the only thing that worked for us.

I suggest getting the little pacifier applicator if you do buy this. It makes dosing so much easier!
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:52 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• mylicon drops or hylands colic tablets

make sure you take all the time to burp her.

I would also look into an organic formula especially if you are going to switch formulas
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 7:58 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• be sure first that you are burping her enough... some babies need to be burped after every ounce that they drink. Try this first. If that doesn't work, you can try going to a more sensitive formula, but be sure to talk this over with your doctor so they are aware as well. They do have drops, but try the above first. Be sure to wait a week before you judge a formula, so the baby has time to adjust to the change, unless there is a really negative reaction to it.
    I really don't suggest organic products for babies, because they are more expensive, and usually the only difference in most products that contain milk, is the way the machines are cleaned between runs.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• mine did that and it turned out to be pretty severe acid reflux even without the spitting up part. it took three months for the doctors to get him on a medicine that helped and then he was a different baby.
    Mgirly84

Answer by Mgirly84 at 12:04 PM on Apr. 16, 2009