Is this child abuse?

My grandma thinks its wrong her a six year old grandson who is turning 7 in two months who's parents are very tall shouldn't shower by himself. She says he hates the shower and all that water rushes on his head. He loves taking showers he just hates it when he wakes up. His four year old sister also take showers or stands with the tab running in the tub and washes herself better than most people. My grandma insists that their mom is abusing them and they need help. I see if it was my aunt's 1.5 year old by himself but I think it helps them be a little independent. And besides my grandmother does baby the 6 year old and does everything he wants and gets away with everything.

So, what are your opinions?

swbohsix

Asked by swbohsix at 7:28 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• It would be a little more abuse if the parents were showering with him. He is told old for them to be naked in a room with him. Its not abuse for him to shower alone, at that age most boys don't want mommy and daddy in the room. Its not abuse so the grandma needs to get over it, if he needs help he can ask and they should check on him if he is taking to long.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 7:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• It is not abuse to let a child shower on their own...especially the almost 7 year old. Now, the 4 year old I'm not sure I would let shower on her own...she might slip and fall, especially standing up in the bath tub.

When we were that age my mom let us bathe on our own, but always made us keep the door cracked open so she could hear us if we needed her, and she would check in ever 5-10 minutes to make sure we were OK.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• It is not abuse to make a child practice good hygiene. It certainly is our jobs as parents to train our children to be independant individuals. I see no abuse whatsoever here. Why is Grandma telling YOU instead of the Mom?
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• brailyns mama i didnt say they were showering together my grandma expects my aunt to wash him still because she does it and she thinks child services will take them away if they found out.
    swbohsix

Answer by swbohsix at 7:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• She tells his mom and me or anyone who will listen to her ranting and say we are wrong.
    swbohsix

• CODDLING a child over the age of 6 or 7 as if they were a baby would be "child abuse!" LOL My 7 year old son showers by himself--I just leave the bathroom door open in case he needs help with something! My 5 year old wants to be like my 7 year old, and I have no problem with fostering a child's independence within reason!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:39 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• CPS would'nt do anything about that, it's not child abuse at all.
    Ilovemy5joys

Answer by Ilovemy5joys at 8:01 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• grandma needs to butt out...sounds like she's trying to stir the pot......
    Anonymous

• My niece is 6 and she showers all by herself...her mom checks on her to make sure she's ok though...it's not abuse
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:00 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• It is no where near child abuse. Give me a break. Sounds like gma needs a hobby and to stop coddling the kids.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:12 PM on Apr. 15, 2009