Have You Ever Experienced This?

I took my 2 month old to his two month check-up and during the exam the Doctor asked if he was circumcised, I said that he was. The Doctor proceeds to tell me that whoever did it did a poor job, and shouldn't have bothered because it's just as if he hadn't been circumcised. Are you kidding me? Has anyone had this happen? This is just ridiculous!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My sister had it happen with both her boys. Their foreskin was still very prominent and they ended up redoing each of them. The oldest had it redone at 6 weeks and her second son got it done at 6 weeks due to medical problems and being under weight and then he had it done again at 12 weeks. Sometimes it creeps back up if its cold or the doctors hands are cold. He doesn't have control over it yet so it does what it wants.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 7:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Do not let him re do it. Get a second opinion.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 7:41 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• He didn't say anything about having it re-done *shrugs*
    Anonymous

• My friends son's was botched and she decided not to get it redone.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:53 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Get another opinion. It is entirely possible the skin has attached to the area where the foreskin was excised. This happened to my oldest son. A urologist spray a numbing spray on him and had to force the skin back. It still hurt him but it had to be done. There was nasty secretions trapped there and already infected. No one told us once the bell fell off tho push the skin back and keep Vaseline or something on it continuously. This episode is exactly why I refused to have my youngest son circumcised.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:58 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• It could be that you have an old school pediatrician that is used to "tight" circumcisions. More doctors are now doing "loose" circumcisions that leave more foreskin for the boy to eventually grow into, to prevent erection problems (tight, painful, shortened, and/or crooked erections) in adulthood.  Before meeting my husband, I dated several men who had erection problems because of a too tight circumcision as a baby.  It is far better to err on the side of caution and remove less than to find out 15 to 20 years later that too much was removed.

sallymoon

Answer by sallymoon at 4:42 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• There were about 5 of us at work that all had boys within a year of each other. 3 of them have had theirs redone. Mine DS is just fine. (Thank goodness) My other friends sons is ok too. We also had the same OB who preformed both though. One of the girls son had problems with the anaesthesia and they had a hard time getting him to wake up. (He was 1 year old when it was redone). Please consider all the options before jumping into anything.
    teafan

Answer by teafan at 11:58 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Yeah, both my boys had a "not complete" done... it sucked when they were younger, up until about a year ago. My boys are 7 and 8 this year. I had to take them into the DR. more then I ever thought needed, to have them "rip" the skin away (litterally) because it was basically reattaching to the head. The secretions were causing a glueing affect! My advice is, DO NOT GET IT REDONE!!!!!! It will eventually stop doing that and become normal. Especially when your son can clean it himself in the shower. All you need to make sure it doesn't cause problems is to pull back the skin in the bath and clean it, then use some neosporin or tripile antibactirial ointment. Good luck!!
    SlapHappi

Answer by SlapHappi at 3:45 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• If your son still has foreskin DO NOT PULL IT BACK!! Do not pull it back to clean in the tub, or any other time. Do not allow a Dr. to "rip the skin away because it is reattaching". the skin will naturally become loose on its own as your boy gets older. For now, just wash it off like you would wash of a finger.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:33 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I usually agree with maggiemom2000, but my information differs slightly on this issue. While the foreskin should NEVER be pulled back for a boy who is not circumcised, it is necessary to do this for a boy who is circumcised according to Dr Fleiss, who is one of the best experts on the subject.  This should be done at least a few times a day for a year or more after the surgery in order to prevent adhesion (when the skin reattaches).   She is correct that a doctor should not rip apart the skin to treat adhesion. As she said, the adhesion will eventually correct itself.

sallymoon

Answer by sallymoon at 8:17 AM on Apr. 23, 2009