Am I a bad mom...

For wanting to go out to the bar with my fiance every once in awhile? my mom is ripping me a new one saying that parents shouldnt do that kind of stuff. I dont see anything wrong with it. We leave once she is in bed, so its not like we're lossing valuable time with her. She is asleep and doesnt even know that we are gone, nor does she care Im sure. And we live with my in-laws, so they are perfectly capable of caring for her if she happens to wake up. So can you tell me, do you think this makes me a bad parent?

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 7:45 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Its perfectly fine. Parents are just as deserving of a night out as those without children.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:46 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• You deserve a night out once in awhile. Are you sure she's not mad that you have the money for a bar and drinking and not money for your own place? I know many girls in this situation and the parents us that as the excuse because they have kids they don't deserve a night out when in reality its because they want them to save money and if they can afford to go to a bar then why cant they afford rent?
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 7:47 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• We plan on doing it I see no problem with it. But my parents have told me they will not watch him if we go out only if I have a drs appt or have to work or something like that
    Sbahns

Answer by Sbahns at 7:48 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Sounds like you've got yourself a good plan there. Does it make me a bad parent to call my mom and ask her to come get the kids for a day or two so that so and I can have a day alone together and then I can have a day alone while he's at work?? I don't think so. I think it means I need a break and I'm able to get one every now and then to keep me from going nuts!@!!
    Anonymous

• That is ridiculous. If you do not go out to the bar, restaurant, whatever--to nurture your relationship, it could fail. Better to hit the bar once a week than get a divorce. Plus, we all need to take a serious break from our kids, it's healthy. Just don't drink and drive.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:49 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Anon 7:48 thats what i do sometimes. she doesnt mind watching my daughter when i ask her too. she just doesnt think that we should be out drinking. she doesnt seem to beleive me when i tell her we dont get drunk, we have dinner and a few drinks. and we do have money for rent now that we're both working, we just havent found a place yet. we're on 3 waiting lists, but it could be 3+ months before we get a place.
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 7:51 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Not at all. Dh and I have a date night once a week. We live with my parents now which makes it easy to get him in bed and then go and not worry about being home at a certain time. But even before we lived with them we dropped him off at their house and he looked forward to hanging out with them just as much as we looked forward to our date. It's healthy for your marriage to spend quality alone time and keep the romance alive. You go and have fun with your man you awesome mom you!!! :)
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 7:51 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Does not make you bad parents but I do think you are wrong for expecting your inlaws to take care of your child. They are not obligated and you should get a sitter.
    Anonymous

• I think Brailynsmama might have the answer, as to why your parents feel that way.

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 7:56 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• just don't come back drunk (or with the wrong man) and incapable of taking care of her.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:01 PM on Apr. 15, 2009