how can I increase my breastmilk?

I just had a daughter 8 weeks ago and have been exclusively breastfeeding, all of a sudden she has had a ravenous appetite. I would really rather not use formula on a count she doesn't like it and that she has a very sensitive stomach, and has trouble keeping formula down. Are there foods I can eat to increase my milk supply?

not-so-des-hw

Asked by not-so-des-hw at 8:07 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's a growth spurt. My kids did this about every 9 weeks. She is increasing your supply for you. Nurse whever she wants and stay hydrated. All the enxtra nursing signals your body to make more milk.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 8:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Probably a growth spurt. Chances are your body is adjusting, but you just have to be sure to keep nursing ON DEMAND even if it's every 45 minutes. I made the mistake of supplementing some formula and had to work really hard to cut it out and get my supply back up. During growth spurts it really seems like you're not making enough and that baby's always hungry/fussy. Low supply is really rare. So drink lots of water, some people say oatmeal helps. There's also Mother's Milk Tea, available in health food stores... but the only really important thing is NURSE, NURSE NURSE. If your baby has 6-8 wet diapers a day, she's getting enough milk.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:10 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Just let her nurse as frequently as she wants (even if it seems like every 10 minutes!) and in another day or two your supply will be up to where she wants it to be. If you were able to make enough milk for her in the first 8 weeks, then you will be able to continue to make enough (unless you do something to decrease supply like start taking BC pills) Breastfed babies actually "plateau" in the total amount they eat at about one month old (this is different from formula babies who need more and more as they grow).

Like the other moms said, probably a growth spurt!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:30 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Have you been exclusively breastfeeding, or supplementing? You kind of contradicted yourself with your comment about keeping formula down. First of all, if you want to breastfeed successfully, throw that formula in the trash where it belongs. Then put that baby on your boob, a lot. Nurse her on the right side for an hour, then nurse on the left for an hour, then put her back on the right if she’ll take it. Contrary to popular belief, babies are pros at sleeping & eating at the same time. If your nursing her & she’s sacking out, as long as she’s latched, she’ll be eating. If she falls asleep & unlatches, she’s actually full. Supplementing & pumping are the worst things you can do for your supply. If you need to pump, pump one side while your nursing on the other & then switch, baby & pump.
    carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 2:22 PM on Apr. 16, 2009