How old was your kid when they moved out?

I wanna move out on my own this year. I'm only 18 years and ten months. My grandma thinks I should wait until I'm married.

How about you?

swbohsix

Asked by swbohsix at 8:17 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• My oldest joined the Army right out of HS so he was 18 1/2. My youngest left for a college 200 miles away when he was 17. My oldest got married..blah blahb lah. My youngest moved into his own apt his juinor yr. He fell in love....blah blah blah..lol. I lived at home until I was 18 and then I got out as fast as I could. My brother stayed at home until My Mom changed the locks and told him to get a life. It's all very individual. There is no magic age.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:23 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I AM 20 BUT I MOVED OUT WHEN I WAS 17 !
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 9:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My oldest moved out when he was 18. I left my Dads when I was about 20. Really there is no magic age. You will know when it's time. Your Grandmother is trying to protect you. Nothings wrong with that but you will know when its right. Try to have a plan and don't leave adruptly. That will make the transition easier on everyone. Make sure you can pay for your rent and bills or have a college plan. Good luck but really have a plan for yourself and let your family know your plans. They will appreciate the maturity and consideration.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:40 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I moved out a few weeks after I turned 17.

The right answer, is whenever you're ready to support yourself.
    catwalksymphony

Answer by catwalksymphony at 11:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I moved out with my boyfriend at 17, got married to him at 19, had our first baby at 21 and now Im 23 and were still married and very very happy. Im not sure If I would have moved out so young but my mom was an alcholic so she made it extrememly hard on me and my husband was there for me at the time and took me away from it all. Im very thankful to him.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:33 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Yes, I have a plan. Had one for the past year and half. I want to take a civil service test but to do so I have to be a Philly resident first after that I do plan on taking night classes since I would like to work full time.
    swbohsix

Answer by swbohsix at 6:58 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My youngest was 22 when he moved out. He is not married yet, Thank God!!! But wanted to go out and experience the world, which is a good idea, before he gets serious and settles down. I do miss him though, he kept things excitting around here.
    LisaDan

Answer by LisaDan at 7:08 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I moved out at 18. My husband moved out at 17 from his mom's house (they don't get along) and into his dads. That was 6 years ago. Having a plan is good, just be prepared for all the things you'll have to do-like pay bills on time, balance check book, fix things around the house.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:23 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My kids aren't old enough to move out yet, but I moved out at 17 when I graduated high school and left across the country for college. It was a challenge to work and go to school and pay for living expenses and college, but it was do-able and it was a lot of fun.

I did not have a child though...and I am assuming if you are on this site that you do.

You have to be doubly sure that you have a job that is going to be able to support you and your child before you venture out on your own.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:18 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My First child moved out at 18 about a week before she graduated. My second child is 18 almost 19 and he is on his way to college in Indiana this fall but he will be 19 by then.. The only requirement I ask of my children is that they graduate from high school then they can move out if they want. I moved out when I was 17 but I had graduated from high school for 5 months... I moved in with my ex husband and we married the follow April a month after I turned 18 and had a baby the following Oct....
    sassy43082

Answer by sassy43082 at 8:26 AM on Apr. 16, 2009