Presidential Dog choice from breeder not shelter? do you agree?

Do you agree with the first family in looking at dogs from breeders versus a local animal shelter? Even though they didn't spend the excessive ~$1500 to buy the dog, it was a gift from Kennedy, do you think that they should have looked into shelters instead? Local shelters are overpopulated and in need of publicity to help animal adoption.

Do you think that the Obama's should have adopted a dog in urgent need of a loving home from a shelter?

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 8:21 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Obama likes to look good and say what people want to hear. So I wasn't the least surprised when I heard about the dog.
    momluja

Answer by momluja at 8:23 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• i think its not up to us where they get their dog from. its their dog for THEIR family, would you want someone to tell you you were only allowed to get a family pet at a certain place? for all we know they went to shelters and none of the dogs were right for them. i mean its a dog, people need to get over where they got it from, what kind it is and all that
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• why?
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 8:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I may be wrong but I remember hearing something about either Sasha or Malia being allergic to dogs so they had to get one that was either "hypoallergenic" or suited their needs.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 8:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• vabchmommy - your thinking is why our shelters are overcrowded and people think it is ok. very sad. dogs are living beings and should not be bred for money. people DO need to care. you obviously do not understand the realm of this issue. I wish it was a simple and heartless are you put it!!!
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 8:28 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• There are more important things in life than where a dog came from, gift or not.
    Anonymous

• I would rather he READ legislation before he signs, not pedigree papers.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:30 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• no. i have never gotten an animal from a breeder always from a shelter or someone who couldn't take care of their animal any longer. and i've always had some type of animal in my home. i understand that the shelters are full, they need money and people need to adopt from a shelter, however it is not my decision to make for another family when it comes to bringing another "person" into their family. b/c that is what a pet is, it becomes a part of your family and that'd be like telling someone they can't have a child b/c they need to adopt one since there are so many children that need to be adopted
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Answered at 7:30 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 by: grlygrlz2 I would rather he READ legislation before he signs, not pedigree papers.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:35 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• ignorance is bliss people. there are shelters with ALL types & ages of dogs. you just need to educate yourself on it.

thunder - i agree w/ you. The animal industry is expensive and brutal. these ARE living beings, just like us, with feelings & needs. IMO - until the shelter population is under control, I think breeders should be shut down!!! human recklessness and selfishness.

Yes, the Obama's should have adopted. there are shelter websites with searchable databases to seek the dog of your choice. no excuses.
    Anonymous