Denying overnight visits because the mom is practicing attachment parenting?

I was just wondering what other mothers thought about this:

I was reading about a mother of an 18 month old who is denying overnight visitation with the child's father. Her reasoning? She's practicing attachment parenting. Her toddler sleeps with her, is breast fed, and is basically "attached" to the mom for many hours during the day. Did I mention she's 18 months old??

The mother says that allowing the father overnight visits will interfere with her bond with her child. But the father says what about HIM getting to bond with the child?

The mom wants to only allow visits for a few hours per week, and the father wants every other weekends at HIS house.

What do YOU think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• LOL! Well, I'm willing to bet that if he's late on his child support then she will be the first to yell about him being a deadbeat. Children are very resiliant. Start the kid out small with daily visits to Dad's house. Give it a few months and work their way up to overnights...the kid should be able to spend every other weekend by the time she's 2...which is in 6 months. This child will not remember Mommy nursing her when she was 18mos old but she will remember Mommy keeping her from Daddy and she will be more scarred by her lack of bonding with her father than she will by having to give up nursing before age 2. Furthermore, she won't be in a stranger's house...she will be in her FATHER'S house with a room that he likely has prepared for her. He's her father, not some hobo off the street.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 2:06 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I think that is BS and an excuse she is using to not let the child see the father.
    Anonymous

• i think mom is crazy. all she's doing is wrecking that bond in the future. if her daughter gets told she couldn't see daddy b/c mommy wanted to have her all the time so they could bond how do you think that girl is going to respond? ok mommy no problem? no shes gonna get pissed and hold whatever type of relationship she does or doesn't have with her father as her mothers fault. if he has no reason not to be allowed to see his daughter other than that, he should be given a chance to form a relationship and show he can be a father
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:30 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• What the heck is attachment parenting anyway? Sounds like something some good for nothing lazy parent made up because they were too lazy to get up, feed the kid and put them back together. That's the most ignorant thing I have ever heard of.
    Anonymous

• i think the daddy should go to court for his visitation rights
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Daddy needs to go to court and have his rights enforced. She's using it as an excuse to keep the toddler away from it's father.
    Anonymous

• WTF, thats why people need to think about who they sleep with before they sleep with them. Why do so many people have to make life more complicated than it has to be. Either work out your problems for the sake of the child and raise your children together as a family or suck it up and follow the rules of visitation rights and move on.
    Anonymous

• Hmm... I think I'm going to use that with my IL's if they move closer to us and start asking for overnight visits, lol!!!
    Great idea for IL's, but maybe not so much for baby's father, if the father is a capable, trustworthy person.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 8:48 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• The father needs to fight his visitation rights. If there is a court order already set up stating he has every other weekend, mom can be jailed for not allowing the visits. The mother needs to stop making up excuses to deny visitation to the father. He has rights. She is the one that is going to have some major issues once the father takes her to court. She is wrong to deny him his visits.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:03 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I think in a court of law that if she might get away with it for another 6 months, but that he would get to visit for longer than a couple of hours.
    boy_or_girl

Answer by boy_or_girl at 9:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2009