Is this early crawling?

Ok so my 5 month old son seems to be doing some sort of pre-crawling. lol, if there is such thing. When hes on his tummy he'll pick up his butt and push off of his toes and knees..but he still cant pick up his upper body to move. He is able to scoot himself from the top of the bed to the end in a couple of minutes.
Does this mean he'll be crawling soon? Or is he just scooting for now? When did your LO start crawling? Did your LO do anything like I described?

AdensMommy1107

Asked by AdensMommy1107 at 8:40 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some babies never do a traditional crawl.
    Some do the "army" crawl, where they pull themselves around with their arms
    Some push from behind like your baby
    Some roll to get around
    Some get on their backs and push themselves around

My daughter did the army crawl for about a month, then started getting up on all fours and rocking back and forth, and finally at 6 months she crawled.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:07 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My first daughter did this for about a month or even 6 weeks before she had her belly off the ground. She was about 7 months when it started, and maybe it wasn't exactly what you described... I think she was pulling herself forward with her arms, but on her tummy. You may still be a ways away from what you picture as true crawling, but who knows!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:45 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• lol yes my son did the exact same thing at about 5 months. It was pretty entertaining. He started scooting soon after but he didn't actually crawl until closer to 7 months. Now at 8 months he's standing!! Be prepared!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 9:14 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• my son is 7 months old today and has been standing for 2 wks
    TwistedSerenity

Answer by TwistedSerenity at 10:06 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Mine started doing that around 5 months, but she's 7 months and not crawling.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• my son started army crawling when he was about 7 months and within 2 weeks he was crawling so ur LO may crawl but it is really when he is ready he will do it.
    TatymMommi

Answer by TatymMommi at 4:04 PM on Apr. 16, 2009