Is it my fault my one month old spits up?

All of the older ladies that see my one month old spit up say "What did your mother eat?" to her. Is it really my fault? Should I eliminate things from my diet? How do I figure out what's hurting her if it is? She spits up after most feedings and it can be anywhere from a minute later and all liquidy to a half hour later and chunky. When these women say this it makes me feel like a bad mother.

doubleyouteeeff

Asked by doubleyouteeeff at 8:46 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep a journal of what and when you eat, and when she eats, and write when she spits up and all that,
    Anonymous

• Girl that's a baby! Babies spit up all the time! Just ignore those old ladies. Get used to getting unwanted advice, you'll be getting for the rest of your life when it comes to your kids. Spit up happens :)
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 8:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Don't doubt yourself, as long as your baby is gaining she is doing good!!!
    Anonymous

• Dont take it personal, I was FFing and I went to sears to get my DD's picstures done when she was 2 months old... well it just so happened that when we got there and got all set up she got hungry, the lady kept saying, awwee does your mom not feed you, does she starve you... so on a so forth, i wanted to punch her in her face
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 8:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Don't let those rude remarks bother you. Wow, if someone said that to me I would slap them. My daughter was an an "erpie" baby. She didn't just spit up EVERY feeding, she projectile vomitted until she was a year and a half old. She had reflux problems since birth. NOT saying yours does.. some babies do just "spit up". It has nothing to do with what you eat! Some peoople.. Cheer up!! Its not your fault!!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 8:52 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• It is rarely something that mom is eating, and in most cases it is not a health problem, just a laundry problem. My 2nd spit up tons, all the time! He was still spitting up at 9 mos old, but he was happy and chubby, so not a problem. My friend's baby never spit up as much as a drop. Both kids are fine, I just had to wash more clothes. There is some great info at "My baby spits up - is this a problem?" http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html

Sometimes there are things you can change to make it better, like if you have a lot of milk, feeding baby on only one breast per feeding.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:58 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• If it's something that is really bothering you, at you LO's 2 month visit, bring it up.
    Guess what, babies spit up. In some cases, it's because of mommy's diet, but most of the time, it's milk over an air bubble in the babies tummy.
    If it's just a little spit up and not vomiting, I wouldn't be concerned and ignore that lady.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 9:00 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• well baby number 3 spit up alot and my dr said it was because there is a little flap o skin and muscle that closes at the top of a babys tummy and sometimes it isnt developed all of the way try to keep baby in as much of a upright position after feeding as possible for about 30 min to and hour and use a wedge under her crib mattress when baby goes to bed this should help you could try feeding a little less more frequently all of these did help with my peanut my want to see also if it is a lot of vomiting maybe baby is lactose intolerant
    tired703

Answer by tired703 at 9:23 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• its not ur fault,babies have to get used ,and digesting, also i found out that if i drink milk it hurts my baby,if that helps
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:28 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Don't get upset about it. My MIL is very anti-breastfeeding for some reason, my guess is that she can't control it and it has nothing to do with her, but at any rate, whenever my son spits up she always makes that comment...well what did your mother eat, or i wish your mother would burp you the right way. Some babies just spit up more than others. I have a friend who's baby has been on both breast milk and formula and spit up like crazy on both, eventually it will get better! Enjoy your baby and stop worrying you're not doing anything wrong! I thought the same way until my doctor reassured me everything was fine. As long as baby is not loosing weight, you're doing a bang up job!
    AussiesMom23

Answer by AussiesMom23 at 9:44 PM on Apr. 15, 2009