potty training issues?

Hayden has decided that she needs to potty train herself. DH and I have not been pushing it, but she is determined. I have noticed though when she does have an accident. She freaks out and starts yelling "I pee I pee" until she is so worked up she is in tears. We don't yell at her for it. We just clean it up (she wears a diaper still and I just take it off when she goes in the bathroom). At 5 o' clock this morning I sat in the bathroom for 45 minutes with her because she said she had to pee, but did not. She also vomited last night, and has a fever today.

Has any one's child ever done this? Or do you think it is just from her being sick?? I am thinking about calling the doctor. Matt thinks I am being obsessive..

Haydensmom326

Asked by Haydensmom326 at 9:26 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter freaks out when she poops and cries like there is no tomorrow. she tries to hide wet diapers and dirty ones. she is 3, but i don't punish her or yell at her for not peeing or pooping on the potty she started on her own about 8 months ago, and is still working on making it all the time. so yes, my daughter does the same thing. i think its more a disappointment in herself than feeling like she was wrong if that makes sense? she wants to be a big girl and is upset b/c she doesn't feel like one when she doesn't get to the potty in time. as for the fever/almost vomiting, i personally don't think that has anything to do with it, but i'm not a dr so i couldn't say for sure. if the fever and almost vomitting or actual vomiting doesn't go away i'd call and you can always mention it then
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I have 3 yr who will be 4 in may...and she is my youngest and probly last child, well with her I just let it happen naturaly....there only this little for a short time why rush it...my daughter still wears a pull up at bed time..just in case....a nd that's because she knows she mite have an accident...just let it happen and it will, I still ask her all the time if she has to go potty before we leave the house, or any where. and still wipe her butt.... don't know how long I'll be doing this though ..lol
    Careanne

Answer by Careanne at 9:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I WISH my DD wanted to potty train herself. As far as the throwing up issue, sounds like she's still sick. Maybe a potty chair in her room for at night time might help? My DD will do great for 2 weeks and right when you thinks she's got it, back to the diaper again. I have no idea what her deal is? Hope the throwing up stops soon.
    teafan

Answer by teafan at 9:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Careanne~ She is doing this herself. if you read what i wrote it states we are not pushing her. which means if she wants to do it great if not ok too...
    Haydensmom326

Answer by Haydensmom326 at 9:45 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Don't apologize for your child wanting to use the potty. My 25 month old is fully done (pees during some naps and at night, though). I never pushed her, but I sure do get accused of it a lot. When she first started, she was learning her body signals but wanted to be dry. So, it upset her when she miscalculated. We always just said "Uh oh clean up", and said "everyone has accidents". Still a 911 to her. She now has learned, and is fine. If she says she has to pee and can't, it means she needs to poop (for mine). It eventually comes out!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:21 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• aw poor thing. i have no idea why she would be doing that. it could be because shes sick, but it would seem like to me, if she was sick then she wouldnt want to go on the potty at all, and just lay around, ya know? if she likes sitting on the potty, i would just let her sit there as long as she wants until she does go potty, if she says she has to go, ya know? let us know what happens if you do call the doc!
    ilovemypnut86

Answer by ilovemypnut86 at 6:57 AM on Apr. 16, 2009