Should I let her fall?

So I now have a beautiful seven month old daughter, that has started to pull herself up on EVERYTHING to stand, she loves to stand but eventually her legs give out or she looses her balance and falls. What should I do? I don't want her to get hurt, but I can't just stare at her every second and run over to her when she stands.

Liz132

Asked by Liz132 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• let her fall so she can know what it is all about but should not be nothing there that can hurt her
    Mz.PhatPhat

Answer by Mz.PhatPhat at 9:39 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• sooner or later she WILL fall, its part of being a baby. but i think as much as you can try to protect her, is she falling on her butt, or is she mindlessly falling backward, falling on their butt isnt that bad. plenty of butt fat & diaper there, but if she is still not controling her balance enough & falling backwards it could be dangerous.. my dd started standing alone & one day she pulled up on the couch i was sitting on, i got too into talking to my nephew who was visiting & she fell & hit her head hard.. I felt so bad for her, she cried so hard. I felt so guilty because she was *RIGHT THERE* in front of me..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:40 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• agree with the above. mz. just make sure she cant hit something on the way down baby proof. but they need to learn and by doing things thats how the learn and it toughens them up lol. so they wont scream everytime they fall. good luck xo and enjoy it and just keep bad things out of reach and her away from harm ( like table corners )
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I let my son fall. He has gotten hurt a few times and I try to redirect him to other things to do... but sometimes he just wants to stand. He almost never falls anymore and it only took about a month to be nice and steady.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:44 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Like the other moms have said, it's necessary to let them fall so they learn that it happens, but something important you need to be aware of is most of the time when a child falls, their screams don't come unless YOU or someone else reacts to their fall. If you go "ooh!" when they fall, they will scream. If you continue doing whatever you were doing, then unless they actually hurt themselves, they likely won't cry. Don't jump every time she falls, and let her get up on her own unless she starts to cry and act as though she's really hurt. Make sure there are no sharp corners, or glasses on tables or anything she can knock over when she falls, and you, and she, should be just fine.

Good luck!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:48 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Well sometimes she falls on her butt, but sometimes she falls straight back and hits her head.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 9:51 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• when my DD falls from standing and i know she isnt hurt i always go WHOOPS! or UH OH you fell boom. so she isnt afraid of it
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 10:40 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I do not say nothing I may say big girl or just look at her. I never did that with any of my kids maybe cause I have all girls and they need to be a lil hard lol
    Mz.PhatPhat

Answer by Mz.PhatPhat at 11:14 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I always have let my daughter fall, unless I can tell it's going to be a bad one. It helps toughen her up, and they learn from it as well.
    Anonymous

• let her fall they have to learn they arnt gonna hurt themselfs everytime or ull b standing there holdin her till shes 2 the only time i grab my 9month son is if i see hes gonna hit something or i know hes gonna bang his head on something that gonna really hurt him other then that i let him fall his sissy whos 22months pushes him over sometimes and i let him fall if he doesnt fall on his butt i sit him up tell him hes ok and hes back standing again
    cocobutt2002

Answer by cocobutt2002 at 11:57 PM on Apr. 15, 2009