Are you still able to wear contact lenses?

I am in my mid 40's and my vision has changed drastically I am being told that I will not be able to wear contacts anymore (I have been wearing them since I was 16)
and kind of just wear them off and on not like I used to I am a mother of 2 and don't have time to put them in I would rather slip on my glasses. It is more convenient for me to do that. I also have too much astigmatizism. It sucks getting old :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Health

• Have you looked into Lasik ?
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 9:47 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My mom is 55 and still wears her contacts... a couple years ago she switched to soft lenses from hard, but she doesn't have any problems with them. My aunt is nearing 50 and still wears her contacts too. Aging alone is not a reason to stop, as far as I know.

Even with astigmatism you should be able to wear lenses. They even have bifocal contact lenses now! I would think that unless you have an unusual situation, you can potentially still wear them. But if your glasses are more comfortable and convenient for you, you could always just get some stylish ones and rock them.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:54 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My mom is almost 60 and still wears contacts, talk to a different eye doctor. I have a horrible astigmatism and wear contacts and have since I was 13 (I am 37 now). I see better with contact vs glasses. I have always worn gas permeable hard contacts. I cannot wear fun glasses because my RX is so high. Contacts are the best.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:54 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I'm 46 and still wear them. In fact, they've put me onto bifocal contacts.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:54 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• In 2007 my eyes had gotten so bad that I wasn't going to be able to wear normal contacts anymore, so I got LASIK. I'm so glad I did it!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:34 PM on May. 14, 2009