How do I get my daughter to do tummy time if she screams everytime?

I've been doing it for 3 months now for a few mins at a time and she just gives up and puts her face in the floor. Screaming and crying the whole time. Does want to lean how to crawl but is trying to walk at 4 months.....any pointers?

rowdy24

Asked by rowdy24 at 9:54 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 2 (-1 Credits)
  • Learning doesn't happen when there is crying, really... all her mental facilities at that point are shunted toward getting you to pick her up. It doesn't help her learn to crawl any faster. My babies were held all the time, and we never did an official tummy time, and they all learned to crawl when they were ready and walk at around nine months (before I was ready! LOL) If it is making her miserable, there's just no point. Even if the tummy time is to correct issues caused from too much time in a bucket carseat, she is still better served by being in your arms. Feel free to pick her up, calm her, enjoy her, and try again when she's in the mood for it!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:58 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• if she is screaming and crying the whole time I'd say she's probably uncomfortable. Try putting a blanket rolled up under her stomach/chest so her torso is supported, and see how she likes that. Put some fun toys in front of her, or something with lights and music for her to play with. I didn't start tummy time with my little boy until he rolled over at 4 months, but he slept on his stomach (I know they say not to do that, but seriously, the kid WOULD NOT sleep on his back..) and he seemed capable of holding his head up shortly after he was born. We didn't have to support it for very long before he learned to hold it up on his own. Sometimes they walk before they crawl..
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:57 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Use a boppy pillow or a rolled up towel placed under her arms to help keep her elevated a bit. Also, get down on the floor with her and play. Sometimes babies get lonely when they are laying face down and can't see you. Make it fun. Also, make sure it's not cold or draft down there. Put a blanket on her legs if you think she might be chilly. She can also do tummy time by laying on the couch or bed if you sit on the floor right next to her. Sometimes this works a little better. She'll like it more as she gets more used to it and as she becomes more independently mobile.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:58 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• OH! I forgot this suggestion...also something I did a lot with my little guy from birth. Tummy time we did a lot of tummy to tummy. He spent a lot of time laying on my stomach, with his head on my chest, or my shoulder. Eventually he'd pick it up to look at mumma.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:02 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• my son hardly ever did tummy time on the floor. we mainly did tummy to tummy. and he's almost 8 mo now and already crawls and pulls himself up and then occasionally lets go to stand on his own. you lo will learn on her own time.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 10:38 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Mine didn't do tummy time on the floor.He did it on us, instead, but was already holding his head pretty well by only a couple of months. (I want to say two months but I'm not quite sure.)

He never crawled...straight to walking.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:52 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• try laying on your back and putting baby on her tummy on your tummy. Then she gets tummy time and mommy face time :) Maybe she'd enjoy that more?
    Jo-Anna

Answer by Jo-Anna at 11:54 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I give birth & hold the kid till they smack me and scream "Put me down Mother!" It is amazing that my older kids still rolled over, crawled, and walked when I put them down. I know now we hear, tummy time is the way to teach your baby to exercise & to develop the muscles to crawl. Is a leg lift the only way to tone your thigh? If your baby screams during tummy time, skip it and hold her instead. You’ll all be happier.
    carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 1:52 PM on Apr. 16, 2009