Fit throwing nine month old

My daughter will turn nine months on the 18th and lately she has been throwing tantrums. Is this normal? How am I supposed to respond? I've tried ignoring them, but that doesn't seem right. I've tried telling her no in a stern voice, but that doesn't seem to work either. I know she's getting a tooth up top, but she's not crying like it hurts. It really is just like a temper tantrum. What do I do????

HaydensMommy708

Asked by HaydensMommy708 at 10:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Kids throw tantrums b/c they're frustrated and don't know how to tell us how they feel through their words, so they do it by crying, kicking, screaming, etc. They are looking to get our attention & when they do get our attention, they have achieved their goal. My advice to you is to ignore the fit. Of course, make sure she is out of harm's way when she is throwing a fit, but, DO NOT give her the attention she is wanting. If you have to, put her in a separate yet safe room while she's screaming so you won't have to listen to her. Whatever you do, DO NOT give in to her wants. For ex, if she's screaming b/c she wants to play with something off limits or b/c she wants an extra snack...DO NOT give in and give it to her. Then she'll know that the fit worked and she will use that strategy the next time. And just know, fits at this age up through the next couple of years is totally normal. But always remember, BE CONSISTENT!!!
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 11:10 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• my 6m old is our 4th child and we are teaching her sign language like we did w/the others. this is a terrific tool to use..i highly recommend it esp for your 9m old.

like joannakitler said...our kids are frustrated b/c they can't communicate w/us verbally just yet, but giving them the tools to sign is what you can do to help your child!

my daughter hasn't yet started to sign but in a few months she could....your child is the perfect age to start introducing!

aggiewife

Answer by aggiewife at 8:14 AM on Apr. 16, 2009