What do people mean when they say "God told me to do it' or "If God wants me to do something I will'

I'm not a religious person so I seriously don't understand this. How do you know if it's God and not your ego or something else talking. Also, why do some people get locked up in the pysch ward for saying this and others don't. This is all really confusing to me. Can somebody explain this to me??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It is confusing, isn't it. It's like christians, muslims, etc. are ventriloquists or puppeteers. It is more than interesting that when god speaks to them his views seem to be identical to their own personal views!!! And they seem to have no problem with elaborating on the content of the bible, interpreting verses and telling people what god "meant" by this verse. Well, when a christian mother drowns her children in a bathtub because god wants her to save their souls while they are still little and innocent, something is WRONG. When a man claims to be the incarnation of Jesus and leads his followers--including infants and children--to a firey death, something is WRONG. When a man takes a shotgun to his mother, wife, and children (saving their souls again!!), SOMETHING IS WRONG. I have a low opinion of people who know so well what god wants and what he is telling them. It's more than confusing. It's lunatic!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:44 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• This is really something you can not understand, unless you have accepted Christ as your savior, and the Holy Spirit is with you. It seems impossible that you can talk with someone you can audibly hear... at least from the human standpoint.
    I can't tell you how many countless times I have had a conversation with the Lord, and His message to me couldn't be any more clear than if He was sitting right next to me. There really is no way to explain it clearly to someone who has never become a Christ-follower. Just try to trust me when I say that my relationship with God is just as real as my relationship with anyone else.
    beccare2000

Answer by beccare2000 at 10:41 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I trust what you are saying beccare2000, I truly believe what your saying is real, it's just hard to wrap my head around it. You're probably right about the fact that because I'haven't accepted Christ that I haven't experienced it.
    Anonymous

• well my opinion is that when you hear something from the Lord you hear it in your heart and it makes perfect sense and if it was just your ego then it would come in your mind not within your heart. plus all those people that get locked up say someone else told them to do bad things and it makes no sense but when God tells you to do something it makes sense and is NEVER bad God would never make you do something bad!
    txbran

Answer by txbran at 10:46 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I have no idea. I hear people say that a lot. I think it's idiotic b/c I'm pretty sure that God didn't tell them to go eat tacos for dinner...or drown their children.

I thought God "gave" people free will. And if God is telling them to do something, does it not imply that they do not have free will?

I don't believe in God. And I don't believe that people "hear" God. I think they hear what they want to hear...and use God for the reason...whether they are a psychopath or just uber religious.
    Anonymous

• True, there are some crazies out there who just want to use God as their excuse for everything. To me, it's just like when a child does something wrong and says, "the devil made me do it." You have to use discretion when someone speaks of their experience with God. I am very grounded in my faith, and I can therefor quickly conclude when someone is speaking from the Word of God, or if they're just blowing out hot air. There are many people who truly don't know the Lord, but think that just because they know ABOUT Him, then they do know Him. You can't believe everything you hear. As a Christian, the Bible is your standard. Therefor, anything that contradicts the Bible is false... period.
    beccare2000

Answer by beccare2000 at 10:56 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• By reading the Bible we learn what God expects, and wants from us. That is how we know. Since I am taking the time to know God, and it is written to what he wants I will do it gladly. I will always strive to please my heavenly Father.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 10:57 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Here's something to add to this....if God told you to do something like, say, kill your kid to prove your faith, would you? He did it to Job....
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I think they are hearing voices lol
    Anonymous

• I HAVE heard God speak to me. I can't explain it, but I know it was God.
    Anonymous