How do you get your child to stop sucking their thumb?Anyone else with this problem?

She's three years old and i thought maybe it was a phase she was going thru but she's still doing it. I don't know what to do i have talked to her doctor about it and he says we could always have the metal thing put at the roof of her mouth that will keep her from sucking it, but it cost 900 dollars with insurance. I'm worried that it will affect her adult teeth and cause her to have buck teeth if i don't do something about it. Any other mother' have this problem

pandora09

Asked by pandora09 at 10:38 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• umm.... mine does her fingers. I've done everything from aloe cape to hot sauce. She's going to be 4 by the way. Right now I've laid off for a bit and will try again after her 4th birthday (although according to her she'll stop when she's six -- LOL)
    The acibar (aloe cape powder) did work pretty good for a while.
    I refuse to stress to hard core on it
    So nope you are not alone. But I don't have too much hope for you.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:44 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I dont know but I just thought i'd share how I stopped sucking my thumb. When I was four I still sucked it, but I would ONLY suck my left one.. and my cousin was spinning me around by an arm and a leg and it dislocated my left elbow..... never sucked my thumb again!

I wouldnt recommend that method though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Just make sure to always correct this behavior whenever you notice it. Explain to her that if she keeps sucking her thumb, it'll hurt her teeth. It's going to take a while to correct her habit and she'll throw fits, but don't give up.
    KristenDanielle

Answer by KristenDanielle at 7:11 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I am having the same problem with my 3 year old son. He only sucks on his right thumb, and it gets so nasty looking sometimes. Last week we went on a 21 hour car ride (each way) to visit my parents, so he was sucking his thumb a lot. It split open in two places, but he just kept sucking away.

Last time he saw the doctor she mentioned something to him about big boys not sucking their thumbs, and he stopped for almost two weeks. I was thrilled, and couldn't believe that it was that easy to get him to stop. But then, he regressed and has started sucking again.

With his older brother and his binky, I implemented an only in your bed rule, before taking it away altogether, so I think I'm going to try that again. The only problem is, he can't leave his thumb in his bed, like his brother could with the binky, so I am going to need to be very vigilant, and constantly remind him that it can't be in his mouth. Good luck!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:19 AM on Apr. 17, 2009