how long did it take your child to get used to a toddler bed, meaning stay in it and sleep all night?

my dd climbed out of her crib night before last. she'll be 23 months next week. i really wanted to wait until at least 2 1/2 before changing my twins to toddler beds, but it looks like that plan may be changed. i think she'd freak out about a crib tent, so i guess the toddler bed is the next best option.

tstep972

Asked by tstep972 at 10:41 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't know about that,,my DD slept fine in her bed (we put it in our room fr a while because her crib was always in our room) but the only problem I had was her falling out of the bed. She slept fine, and we would hear a BUMP BUMP during the night and look over and she'd be on the floor. She was still asleep, but on the floor. She was 2 when we moved her from her crib.
    southernstyle88

Answer by southernstyle88 at 10:46 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• my dd got her toddler bed when she was about 26 months. this is how i did the transition and it worked immediately she stayed in her bed that night; we went to the store and i showed her the two beds she could pick from, she picked out the bed (they were the same just diff colors), then she picked out the bedding for it, after she did that i snuck and grabbed some wall decals that matched the bedding, she loved elmo at the time, so of course thats what she picked. anyways, we went home took the crib down and told her now she was a big girl and we were gonna put her big girl bed where the crib was. so we put that together put on the new bedding, i put up the new decals and set are her elmo dolls on the bed. then we called her up so she could check it out. she immediately fell in love and wanted to call grandma and grandpa (both sets) and jump on the bed. i let her for a few mins then told her she couldn't do it anymore CONT
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:46 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• that she was only allowed to jump on it since it was such a great big girl day. that night she went to bed w/no fuss and stayed in it all night. there are nights now she will get out of bed and ask for a drink or argue that shes not tired. but otherwise no issues ever with her not wanting to be in the bed. hope that helps a bit. good luck
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:48 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Toddler bed once you see they start climbing out .And put a gate at the door show the kids doesnt walk arond the house in the middle of the night .Good luck
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 10:49 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• When my oldest (now 22) started climbing out of the crib at 10 months old, we took the crib down . I had a full size matress and boxspring , and set it ow the floor. It is not so far to fall to the floor, and she had lots of room to move around. We put a gate up at the door and she will be graduating from college in 4 weeks!!! I did have a toddler bed for my youngest (now 6), but it really isn't big enough for any kid who can't sleep in one straight position.....All of mine seemed to like to sleep sideways!!!
    kccccmom

Answer by kccccmom at 11:16 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• my son was a little over 2 when we put him in a toddler bed and it took him about a week to actually stay in his bed when it was time to go to sleep
    Domzmom2005

Answer by Domzmom2005 at 11:17 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• my daughter is now 22months and i just put her into a full size bed last week and she sleeps fine in it she can move and sretch all she wants now she was gettin gup at nite and sleeping on the floor cuz she could sretch in her toddler bed anymore
    cocobutt2002

Answer by cocobutt2002 at 11:39 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• wow i cant believe ppl wait so long..my daughter was in a twin size bed at exactly 1 year...and she never had any problems..i bought one of those lil rails you put on the side that are like 6 inches high just so they dont roll out..but i only kept that on there for about a week..and she never fell..i think thats one reason why ppl have so many problems with kids that wont stay in their beds, cuz they wait to long to transition them..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:38 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My son was about 19 months old and he slept in a portable crib at the time and it was getting to small for him . So we went out and bought him a car bad . The first night was hard he kept on getting out of the bed but I would just go back in and lay him back down. and after crying for awhile he fell off to sleep and he did not get up at all at night . You will be fine and baby will be fine . there will a few tears but that is ok do not worry
    aaronsmom2007

Answer by aaronsmom2007 at 7:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2009