Anyone having trouble with a 5 year old child?

My daughter told me that this isn't her home! She wants to live with her grandparents. It breaks my heart hearing her say "its okay mom I will always be your daughter even though I live at grandma's." She is only 5! She talks way above her age leve even her teachers agree. I don't know where she comes up with this. Any advice please!! Mother in tears.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Kids say stuff like that sometimes. Just hug her, tell her your glad she loves grandma and you're glad she's our daughter.
    maybe plan a visit to Grandma's.

I'd try not to make a big deal of it as is.

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 10:52 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Kids do that sometimes. They want to see what they can get away with, and how far they can push you and how much you love them. My son told me that. I just told him fine. I said, "I love you, but I can't force you to stay here. So, pack your things and I'll take you to Granny's house." I had no intention of doing it, but I know my son. And sure enough, he decided very quickly that he did, in fact, want to live with me, and didn't want to go anywhere. If you don't think that would work with her, or you're scared she'd really do it, you could always suggest that she just spend some nights at Grandma's house, maybe set something up with Grandma that she can go spend the night once or twice a month, if she lives close by. Or take a vacation to Grandma's if you can afford it. Maybe she can talk to her on the phone a few times a week.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:05 AM on Apr. 16, 2009