LOW bloodpressure

how low can your blood pressure get before its critical.

newmom092009

Asked by newmom092009 at 10:46 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Health

• for an adult? I'd call below 80 time to intervene
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Anything lower than 120/80 is considered good blood pressure.
    Physicians consider a reading of 115/75 to be perfect.
    When the systolic (top number) reading is lower than 90 OR the diastolic (bottom number) reading is lower than 60 than the physician considers it to be hypotension, or low blood pressure.
    Some signs and symptoms of hypotension would be:
    Dizziness; fainting; blurred vision; cold & clammy skin; rapid & shallow breathing; fatigue; and thirst.
    There are also different reasons for hypotension such as pregnancy.
    Most times hypotension is nothing to worry about, especially if the signs and symptoms come and go. Keep a record and speak to your physician if they persist.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:16 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Thanks my last reading was 90/64 last week it was 84/60, and I get dizzy and clamy skin, all day long, anything I can do to raise it.
    newmom092009

Answer by newmom092009 at 11:20 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• You might have an infection,when I caught pnuemonia my blood pressure dropped significantly to 40/cant remember the top number,I couldnt' breathe I was at home when this happened,this also happened when my appendix ruptured,and they said,if i can remeber that my white blood count was through the roof something to that effect.I suggest you go get checked right away...
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 1:19 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• It really depends on what is causing your hypotension. Are you pregnant? Are you going through an illness?
    When you begin to sit up or stand up, do so slowly; drink a lot of water and no alcohol; don't cross your legs; try eating small, low carb meals throughout the day, but also maintain a healthy diet with fruits, veggies, whole grains, chicken, etc.; don't add more salt to your diet unless your physician says it's okay; and if it doesn't improve over time then make an appointment with your physician. Be sure to bring with you a record of when you experience signs and symptoms of hypotension and what your actual BP readings are. It also helps to notate what your activity is during the time of the event.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:27 AM on Apr. 16, 2009