My Daughter uses too much toilet paper.

She's almost 4 years old. She's potty trained, and now she wipes herself. It's just one double-roll toilet paper only lasts a week or less in her bathroom. Any idea to encourage her to use less? I'm very happy with her independence, but I also want to save trees.

Meachan

Asked by Meachan at 10:48 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am 22 and I still use too much toilet paper. I have had this problem since I was a kid. My mother & boyfriend always get on me about this. So if anyone has any ideas...let me know, too.
    Anonymous

• thats good she likes to be really clean Good girl.Tell her to use wet ones first and then to finish it off with regular toilet paper.She like the feeling of being clean ..
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 10:52 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• maybe instead of giving her a whole roll of toilet paper (which i know with my kids is like an invitation to just keep pulling lol) give her a box of tissues- that way she has precut slices almost that u can tell her to use one at a time until shes all the way clean if u know wut i mean- one for pee pee and 3 or 4 for poop and i like the pps idea for wet wipes but not wet ones theyre not for the nether regions lol try maybe kandoo wipes and have her use 1 or 2 wipes for poop then 2 tissues to finish at least until shes old enough to understand portion control
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 10:57 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• kandoo's are great! my daughter loves, them they get her clean and she still feels like they are big girl wipes not baby wipes. so she uses those and uses about 3 or 4 each time. still more than she really needs but can't expect her to get it all clean with one or two wipes. so it's better than the way she used to use the whole roll. even if it didn't end up in the toilet it usually ended up rolled around the floor
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:03 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Have you seen the toilet paper with the dogs on it? My kids are bigger, so this isn't really an issue at our house. I'm not sure what brand it is, but they have pictures on the square where it is enough paper to use. It looks like it might give her an idea where to stop pulling... But, if that's your biggest issue, you are doing a great job!!!!!
    kccccmom

Answer by kccccmom at 11:09 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• KANDOO, COTTENELL WET WIPES OR SCOTT WIPES ALSO COTTENELL MAKES TOLIET PAPER JUST FOR KIDS AND I THINK ITS SUPPONSED TO TEACH THEM HOW MUCH TO USE!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 11:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• OK THE PERSON ABOVE ME IS TALKING ABOUT THE COTTENELLE ONE LOL
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 11:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• i dunno if they still have this but a few years ago i was on the CHARMIN website, and they had a free potty training kit, so i ordered one...and it came with a cut out that you can hook in with your toilet paper roll, which then hangs with the toilet paper against the wall, and the kids just have to line it all up with the cutout...could see if they have something like that still...or just make your own outta construction paper or something..worth a shot..good luck!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:20 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Ok, this is easier. Put the roll of toilet paper on the floor. Step on it so the cardboard is squished a little and then when you put it on the holder it won't turn easy. She will be able to pull a couple sheets off at a time, but needs to work at it. Tell her three sheets at a time maximum. Then if she needs more she can get more, but only if she really needs it. I also seemed to have this problem and I found out it was my cats! My cats would shred the paper, the kids would clean it up and not tell me because they didn't want me mad at the cats. We ended up taking it off the roller and putting it up higher. Anyway, good luck!
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:58 AM on Apr. 16, 2009