Homeschooled children

Do you think that parents who homeschool are just trying to protect their children from the real world?? At some point they have to get out and realize that yes, there is life out there... I think that it is scary!! Its like keeping your child from having any sort of social life, and I despise how everytime you see a ? about public school, there is always a mother who homeschools who tries to say how much better it is!!! Anyone agree?? Disagree??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I was just thinking the same thing! I bet we both read the same answer a couple of seconds ago. I teach public school and I know the system isn't perfect. I think there are tons of home school parents who do a great job and meet all their kids needs. But... there are others (especially on CM) who love to take every opportunity to pick apart the school system and bash. There are some things that kids learn in school that they just won't at home. Some of them may be negative. But as children we learn the skills we need to cope as adults. When parents set up a child's life so he or she never has to deal with difficult things they don't learn those skills. How can teach right from wrong when you never let the child know what the wrong things are? I am not talking about all home school parents, or even most of them, just some.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 10:59 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• If you lived where I live you would homeschool.
    Anonymous

• I do not live in the best area either, but when the time comes my DD will be put in a public school where she will meet and chat with other children, and get an education at the same time. I went to public school in this area, and I will not deny my child that oppurtunity!!! Every child needs friends who are not their family!!
    Anonymous

• It is better. My children are not learning foul language, rude behavior, and are not getting head lice or illnesses 10 times a year. Sorry if that convicts you.

Oh, and BTW, my "sheltered" homeschooled child will be the one passing up yours on all the equivalency tests, getting accepted into the Ivy league colleges, and getting the Fortune 500 jobs. Probably will be signing your kids paychecks some day too.

Anonymous

• I homeschool (and answered that question, too, but never mentioned we homechool)

I don't find it necessary to prove what we do is right to others; which is why I don't point it out on posts like that. That post was a fun kid post, not a question about school troubles and possibilities.

So I disagree and agree with you.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 10:57 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I do think that homeschooling does put kids at a disadvantage socially, but a lot of homeschool kids also do much better academically because they are able to learn at their own pace and aren't surrounded by all the distractions. I think that as long as homeschoooled kids are able to still find ways to interact with other kids their age than they'll be alright, if not better off. I always thought that it was wrong to shelter kids but now that I'm a mother my views have changed. There are some things that happen in public schools that no kids really ever needs to experience.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 10:57 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My child picks up some negative things from school, BUT he picks up a lot of positives, such as, friends, socializing and so on. The postives outweigh the negatives. We do live in a very safe community, though. I don't know how I would feel if I lived in the ghetto or something, maybe my opinion would be different.
    Anonymous

• Ok, and they will also probably have no friends, what good is money without friends?!? At least my DD will have happiness!! And who is to say that you are that good of a teacher?? That is quite a stretch if you ask me!!
    Anonymous

• Homeschooled children still have friends and go on field trips and everything. In most places homeschooling parents have networks with each other and there children socialize together. Homeschooled children also have friends in their neighborhoods and at church. They are still children, why are you acting like they are aliens.
    Anonymous

• My parents are teacher, and my husband and I are both teachers.
    We are going to homeschool until my child reaches high school age.
    Children excel in leaps and bounds when given one on one time with teachers. I want my child to be strong in his beliefs and to have the opportunity to move quickly through subjects that they grasp and spend more time on the ones they don't. We have homeschooling groups here that get together for field trips and to let the kids socialize once a week. The provincial government in Alberta also gives you $1000/child a year and discounts on sports and music lessons.
    I think that homeschooling is a privilege that not everyone can afford and I am thankful that we will be able to do it.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 11:02 PM on Apr. 15, 2009