How can I cure my sons cold?! at home?

My babys daddy (who lives with us, its just the three of us my b/f, my son, and me) has been sick recently and might have a sinus infection. He's been coughing his head off, and had a runie nose. My son who is one and a half years old, has been coughing alot also within the last couple days, he coughs and then coughs so hard almost to the point where it sounds like hes gonna throw up, today he got sick but only once, but the coughing sounds just awful. What can I do to help him feel better?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You cannot cure the cold, only relieve the symptoms. There is no reason to take him to the ER for a cold, they don't give antibiotics for a cold anyway, it's a virus.

Elevate the head of his bed.
    Steam in the shower and suction his nose.
    Run a humidifier in his room.
    saline nose drops and suction what you can see running out.
    Tylenol for discomfort.
    Do not give any over the counter medications unless recommended by your pediatrician.
    If you feel a great deal of concern, take him to your pediatrician.

If it is croup, you will hear the tell-tale barking cough at night. If this occurs, take him to the shower. If the steam calms the coughing great! If not, take him into the cool night air or open the freezer and stand there breathing the cool air. If he has stridor (wheezing) call the doctor.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:57 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• sounds like you should just take him to the ER that would be the best thing cause they will give him antibiotics and he will feel a lot better. my son just went thro that and i took him and it turned out he had an ear infection too. as soon as i took him and he got meds he was feeling sooo much better... hope you all feel better! :)
    krstqt123

Answer by krstqt123 at 11:06 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• my daughter just had croup everyone said to take her outside if it was cold, or run a hot shower and sit in the bathroom w/the door closed with her. that may help your little man too. as for the coughing so hard he's going to vomit alot of kids do that, just try to keep him calm when he does start coughing. put a pillow or something under the mattress to raise the head of it, that way the mucos doesn't go down his throat at night
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:06 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Lemon and honey will help to at least soothe and coat his throat. Steam from the shower will definitely help as another mommy suggested.
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 11:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• another thing you could try would be to give him about half a teaspoon of children's cold and cough before bed and put vick's for baby on his feet then put his socks back on. my son is a diabetic and he catches colds easily so my doctor recomendend this. it really does work it cleared him up in about three or four days.
    colesmommy12

Answer by colesmommy12 at 11:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2009