when to transition to toddler bed?

the toddler bed questiongot me thinking....when is a good age to transition to a bed from a crib? I have a while to go. my son will be 1 on sunday, is barely 20 lbs and about 28" so yeah too small for a big boy bed lol but I would like to take notes in advance!!

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 11:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well my boyfrieds mom switched them at 1 1/2 and my mom switched us at 2 so... i dont know how much help that is...
    lilysmommy1408

Answer by lilysmommy1408 at 11:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• We switched our daughter at age 2 when she started climbing in and out.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I switched my son, at about two. I always thought it was earlier, but I actually just sat and THOUGHT about it, and it was about two. He was climbing out of his crib A LOT, so we just switched him. I think at the point they start climbing out is when you should switch. I think personally that I waited too long. He started crawling out before 18 months. =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 11:30 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• i switched at 1 but it was a transitional bed and my daughter jsut wasnt comfey in the crib anymore and shes tall for her age so ....
    cocobutt2002

Answer by cocobutt2002 at 11:34 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• There is no "best" age. And a toddler bed isn't necessary.

In general, when a toddler starts to climb out, you need to find a way to stop it or move him since he could get hurt falling off the crib rail. The AAP recommends keeping a child in a crib until 3 if at all possible.

Once a toddler moves to a bed, remember that the degree of danger increases dramatically. Toddlers don't see any boundaries around a bed. If he sees a toy he wants to play with on the other side of the room, there is no reason to not get up to play with it. If he remembers something fun he wanted to play with in the kitchen, there is nothing to stop him from playing with it - at 2am when you can't say no. Yes, you can baby proof. But read the package - baby proofing items are designed to keep a SUPERVISED child safe. A child wandering the house while you are asleep is not supervised.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:41 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I think it all depends on the child. Our son never tried to get out of his baby bed. We moved him to a toddler bed when he was about 2 1/2 only because our daughter was just born and needed the bed. We waited a few months after she was born to move him so as not to have so many changes all at once.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 12:41 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I switched my first son just around his second birthday because our youngest was outgrowing the bassinet and needed the crib, I think it was too early, but we also had no choice because we couldn't afford to buy a new crib. But with my youngest, who will be two the end of this month, I'm waiting until he is closer to three or when he starts nighttime potty training.
    mommyoftwo212

Answer by mommyoftwo212 at 1:38 PM on Apr. 16, 2009