How am I ever goin to lose weight breastfeeding, it seems impossible!! HELP!!

I've gained a little more since the babys birth in dec 2008.??? i am always hungrey!! help i dont want to diet because i am breastfeeding but i need to start losing not gaining!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Breastfeeding does not mean eating more. It means drinking more. I lost my baby weight due to breast feeding. You must be doing something wrong.
    Anonymous

• they say to eat more when breast feeding. So just dont eat normal. I though ppl lost weight faster BF. Now Iam confused...
    Anonymous

• my kids 4 ... i havent lost. So iam gonna now focus on it. Hard for me to be happy being so fat.
    Anonymous

• You burn around 500 extra calories a day when you are exclusively breastfeeding. If baby is eating other food it would be less. The problem is your body is telling you to eat more to compensate for the extra calories it is burning. It's tough, you need to eat more low density foods that are bulky and have fewer calories (vegetables, lean meats). That will help to keep you full.

Now if I could just figure out how to follow my own advice...

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 11:34 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I breastfeed also and I have lost some weight sense I had my baby three months ago but not what I would like to weigh, and I am far rom what I used to weigh. I have the same issue as you. It scares me because I want to make sure my baby gets everything she needs. I would rather stay heavy for a little while wile I am breastfeeding and my plan is to loose the weight after she gets on solids and is not breasfeeding as much or is not at all. Good luck with your weight I know it can get hard at times!
    HeidilovesNyla

Answer by HeidilovesNyla at 11:56 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• breastfeeding should not be the only way you're trying to lose the weight. i understand eating more because you need the extra calories but you can eat healthier. and exercise helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Some moms lose,. some gain, some stay exactly the same. Nine months on, MINIMUM nine months off. Often longer.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:47 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Breastfeeding does mean eating more - my son is 16 months and I eat an extra 1000 calories a day. I am very slim too.

I had the feeling of always being hungry too. So I start my day off with a large banana smoothie - 5-10 bananas. blended with a little water. I eat fruit before every meal and as much as I desire. I eat a large green salad - lots of lettuce or spinach and some cucumber etc everyday. I make sure I eat low fat meals too - try some recipes from fatfreevegan.com or fatfree.com

I dont have dairy because my son reacted to it badly through my milk. I think cutting out dairy makes a huge difference to losing weight. I also limit my meat intake to weekends only.

I make plenty of milk and my son is very healthy and so am I...and I lost the weight :) Hope this helps.

http://www.eating-naturally.com
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 7:44 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Breastfeeding will help you more than anything! I ate more while breastfeeding than I did when I was pregnant! I ate everything in sight and lost my pregnancy weight right off and lost an additional 15 pounds. I didn't even exercise. But it seemed to really drop around the time my DD was 4 months old. And i have heard people say that it takes 4 months before you really start to lose! hang in there!
    Anonymous

• Breastfeeding alone will not cause you lose weight. You still need to make healthy food choices and exercise.

Try to eat a minimal amount of white potatoes and white rice. Chose whole wheat or whole grain breads. Avoid refined sugar and high fructose corn syrup. Avoid junk food, fast food, processed foods and soda. Drink lots of water. Drink low fat milk.

Eat a high protein diet (eggs, lean meat, nuts, fish). Fill half your plate with fruits (fresh not canned) and vegetables. Don't over eat.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 11:05 PM on Apr. 16, 2009