What are some good activities to do with a 16 month old?

I am home most of the day with my 16 month old son, and sometimes I feel that we're very unproductive...like I'm wasting time that we could be using to develop his little brain. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions. It's getting ready to be warm outside, so we'll be outside playing in the sandbox and his little pool a lot, but when we're inside, we kind of run out of stuff to do.

shawnaquijada

Asked by shawnaquijada at 11:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• color, read, ask him if he wants to help you do some house work...thats good because thn they learn to help and not expect mommy to do everything....there is alot you can do...
    lilysmommy1408

Answer by lilysmommy1408 at 11:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• just throw in "educational stuff" throughout your day. point out the colors of different things, count how many slices of cheese are on his plate, that kind of thing. color with him and get him to imitate what you write (a straight line, up and down, side to side, zig zag etc), when you read a book point out letters, those are the kinds of things that they can start to learn at that age. if you want to do things outside of the home, go to the zoo, the aquarium.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:35 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• picture books anr great to have...mine has learned alot from them. Also having them intereact in what you're doing and letting them help out!
    gavinsmoma

Answer by gavinsmoma at 11:35 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Im in the same boat!! I cant wait till its warm and we can go to jumping jacks and play in our pool (Hubby took the heater out .. to $$$)
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 11:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I appreciate the answers so far, but I guess I should have been more specific. We have tons of picture and animal books, we do that a lot. He plays with pots and pans, he plays with his toys, etc., but I was just trying to see if any of you moms had any activities that you had come up with that involve actually being engaged with each other for a while...like projects or games or something. I just can't seem to think of any on my own!
    shawnaquijada

Answer by shawnaquijada at 11:54 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• play! lol, at this age, that's really how their brain develops. Read books, point out everyday objects. No day you spend with your baby is wasted!
    Mamie_85

Answer by Mamie_85 at 11:56 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• we do lots of art projects that gets sent to grandparents (finger painting, chalk, markers, stickers, etc). we also do those easy animal wooden puzzles and she makes the sounds. we sing songs and count everything! we play house, she's the mommy and keeps trying to give me her baby's bottle. we play hide her favorite toy. she helps me do chores around the house (wiping the coffee table, vacuum, picking up her toys, dishes, cooking, etc).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• When my twins were that age we started finger paint! and little crafts that hey could do! like for xmas we made cinnamin xmas tree ornaments and painted them, we made jello jigglers and i let them cut the shapes with the cookie cutters and i would point out thats a square or thats a star so on and so forth!!!!! maybe try the jello cause he can eat that after it hardens! in the summer you can go outside and do sidewalk chalk, or now if the weather permits it where you live!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I worked in a day care for two years with this age group! They are amazing!

Any type of play is going to be beneficial for your child. Finger painting (and let him go nuts! there's always the tub for afterwards so let him paint his arms if he wants!). Get some cardboard boxes and make a series of tunnels or stack them up really high and let him knock them over. If you can handle the noise let him go at some pots and pans with wooden spoons (explain that you are making music). My kids in the daycare loved to put on music and dance or march around the house. They also loved to put on other peoples shoes or hats so I would bring in some of my hats (clean of course! haha) for them to put on and play in.

Just some suggestions. I hope that was a little helpful.
    Michele_Lynn

Answer by Michele_Lynn at 2:37 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• oh do finger painting! they LVOE that! well mine did anyway!!
    hotmama83227

Answer by hotmama83227 at 12:10 PM on Apr. 16, 2009