3 year old still sleeping in my bed and baby on the way????

My 3 year old has to be up my butt when he is sleeping with me he has been this way for 3 years now and he has to have my arm underhis head and has to have his body touching mine. I have a baby thats going to be here anyday now and i dont know what to do.. he doesnt have his own room and i need help im so stressed..

chastity23

Asked by chastity23 at 11:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Buy him a toddler bed and place it in your room.
    Anonymous

• well when the new baby gets here you know how to not get them into your bed, for some reason i did it the opposite way and i dont know why, but my first is in his own bed and my second is in our bed
    emleejane

Answer by emleejane at 11:45 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I had this problem with my 12 month old at the time.
    We have a baby on the way and i knew it was then or never.

We went and picked her bed.. she was there when we bought it.
    Told her thats her big girl bed.. she has to be brave for the new baby
    She doesnt have her own room either.

So we put on cartoons and layed her in it
    She went to sleep that night..

Now we have to rock her still first.. but she sleeps in her own bed.

She was the same way with the arm under her head. But .. she got over it. At first i put her toddler bed right next to my bed, just so if she needed me i was right there.

Its hard, and tough. But.. worth it. My daughter is now 15 months and sleeps in her own bed!
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 11:51 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Get a biiiig bed ;)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:37 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• You need to snip this in the butt! I had my 3 year old dd co sleeping with us as well. Fortunately she has her own room and toddler bed, so once I found out we were pregnant again I put her back into her own bedroom. It was HARD at first, she would constantly get out of her bed and come crying, or just sit and scream in her room for the first week I would say. Now its been going on a little over 2 months and she sleeps just fine in her own room again. I would get him a toddler bed and place it in your bedroom, and be stern about him sleeping in his own bed. Don't give into it.. as hard as it may become, you can't give into him. Otherwise it will never happen. Good luck, it takes time, patience, and A LOT of reinforcing!!

ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 6:37 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• We were really lucky with the second baby, and he WANTED to sleep in his crib! It was soo weird to me, bc of the oldest co-sleeping and I was nursing so I was up and holding the baby all the time, but to go to sleep the youngest wanted to be laid down alone!! THANK GOD!!

That doesn't answer your question, but I don't think it will help much if the first child feels forced out bc a new baby is on the way. I would definitely pursue the option of a special "Mommy and me" shopping trip where he picks out a bed or little fold out sofa or even sleeping bag..then there might be more interest in it for him.

They also have attachable co-sleepers for the new baby to add on to the side of your bed that is suppose to be safer and convienent...maybe that would be worth looking into. GOOD LUCK! I will tell you that now I have my 5yr and 2yr in my king-size bed...LOL..you might not want to listen to me!! But we are doing fine!
    mom2-2crazyboys

Answer by mom2-2crazyboys at 10:01 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• LOL! kate_jocelyn!! I was totally going to say " Then get a bigger bed :)"!!!!!!
    Kristenn

Answer by Kristenn at 11:56 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• we had the same problem. i didnt want her thinking that we were kicking her out of the bed and taking in a new baby so she slept with us for about 6 months. that did NOT work very well. 4 people in a queen bed can get really crowded. and its funny how the littlest ones take up the most space. =P anyway, we got her really excited about getting a new bed in our room, and she slept fine in it for about a week, then she wanted to come back into the bed with us. thats when it got difficult. it took about 2 weeks of fighting her every night to go to sleep. but consistency is key. we didnt let her come back, not even for a night. it's gonna be a battle, lots of crying (from BOTH of you lol) but be strong and you'll both get over it. she now sleeps in her bed with no problems. we have our nightly bedtime stories and she has water by her bed and she sleeps fine now. good luck!
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 1:36 AM on Apr. 17, 2009