unemployment - can you

explaine how this process works? are all states different or not? and did you have to attend job searching classes or meetings? how long does it take to receive your first check (average time)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Every state is different, and the rules can change over the years.

When I was on unemployment about 14 years ago in CA, I was offered the opportunity to go to a job searching class. And at that time you had to always report where you'd looked for work.

When I found myself on unemployment again last year, neither was the case any more.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:13 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• in CA you just fill out the application and if you're eligible they send you a check dating back from when you last worked. It takes maybe 2-3 weeks to receive the first check if there's no issues. i think they make you go to their job fairs and see a job counselor after a while if you still can't find work and you have to keep applying and tell them where you applied each time you receive a check.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• i dont know about where you live, but where im from you do not go to classes, but they can ask you for proof that you have been looking for a job..and it usually takes about 6 weeks before u get the first cheque. and that is only if you get approoved!! they do lots of checking, reasons why you left your last job, why you didnt get transferred to another location, stuff like that
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:11 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• i live in ca and my hubby applied and its more than just turning in an application..they set up a phone interview that you Have to take or they will not grant your unemployment
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:47 AM on Apr. 16, 2009