My 18mo old would rather sleep on the floor by the door than on her bed

Please any advice to help me get her back sleeping on her toddler bed/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It might just be a phase. My oldest went through a phase where she would get out of her bed and sleep in her closet. That was scary the first time I went into her room and couldn't find her LOL. Maybe try putting her mattress on the floor instead of in the bed frame. Really there's no harm in just letting her out grow this little phase.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 12:09 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My 5 year old just went through that. She'll get over it in a few days, I think my daughter did that for three or four days, Good luck!
    Rosalie29

Answer by Rosalie29 at 12:10 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Wow thats not good that shes sleeping on the floor, that would make me really sad. I would lay down with her untill she falls asleep. My husband sleeps on the couch untill I get my 28 month old to sleep every night. It takes me any where from 15 to 30 min. and then he goes right in his crib. Does she cry every night cause she wants you and is thats why she ends up on the floor? Allot of people say to put up a baby gate but I dont believe in that, I wouldnt want my child to feel like there in a prison or something and plus what if something happend and they need you but cant get out of there own room.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:11 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• haha sry this brings back memories of my girl she did they same thing she slept onher floor for 2months id put her in the bed and at 2-4 am shed get up and crawl on the floor and sleep everymorning thats where shed b i got her a bigger bed i found out she didnt have enough room in her toddler bed if u can get her a twin bed that might b all she needs is just more room
    cocobutt2002

Answer by cocobutt2002 at 12:23 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My brother slept under his bed from the time he was 3 until he turned 6 because it was 'cool like a cave' under his bed. My mom just made sure that underneath his bed was clean before he went to sleep and let him sleep there. It won't hurt her to sleep on the floor. It's just a phase. It will pass. If it bothers you because she is on the floor try buying her a sleeping bag and letting her sleep in that next to the door. That way she isn't on the floor w/out a blanket or pillow but she gets to sleep the way she wants too.
    babyboomboom

Answer by babyboomboom at 12:26 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I nannied a two year old who started doing this at night. I would put her in bed and sit in the room until she fell asleep IN her bed. If she got up, I simply (and without a word) put her back in her bed and resumed my position in the room. Eventually she'd fall asleep in her bed. It quickly became a habit for her to sleep in her bed at night (in a matter of days).

I dont think it is really very appropriate for her to be sleeping on the floor. She needs to learn that people sleep in beds. Its better for her back and (hopefully) her bed is cleaner than the floor.
    Michele_Lynn

Answer by Michele_Lynn at 2:29 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• As long as she is warm enough, and safe, sleeping on the floor is fine. Just when you put her to bed remind her of how soft and comfy her bed is. Otherwise ignore it. She will out grow it. You have other fights ahead of you momma, choose your battles. This is not an important one like eating veggies is. :O)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 5:06 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• put the mattress on the floor for her. Is it a toddler bed -- one of the smaller ones that's close to the gound? Does it have a railing? My dd fell out a few times and i had to make a railing for it.

really, it's not hurting anything to be on the ground.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I agree with "cocobutt", A twin bed does have more room to move around in, that is what I have my daughter in. I also let her help me pick out her bed set, so she actually gets excited to get into HER " Pretty Pretty Princess Bed"
    ShesaWilld1

Answer by ShesaWilld1 at 8:13 PM on Apr. 16, 2009