Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can an illegal alien file for child support from a u.s citizen?

my brother doesn't take care of his kids at all, he spends money on his car, clothes, electronics, etc while my sister in law is struggling with the kids by herself, I told her to file for c.s but she said she can't because of her status, is that true?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (14)
  • If she is here illegally she has no rights to anything. Your brother sounds like a jerk but she is a criminal. Poor kids.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

  • Shes not a criminal... how rude.

    Answer by faithful78 at 12:17 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

  • Shes not a criminal... how rude.

    She's here illegally therefore breaking the law.


    Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

  • i think as long as the kids are u.s citizens she can file for child support have her talk to someone at the dhs office to get more info

    Answer by bubbleburst1 at 12:25 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

  • I don't really think of her as a criminal, she really is a good woman and I love my nieces to death. It really pisses me off that my brother is being such a selfish douche bag and no one is doing anything about it, I tried talking to him but we ended up getting in a huge arguement, our mom tried too but that didn't work either. I thought that her taking him to court for child support would solve the problem, since I can't help them myself because we're short on money

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

  • call child support and ask anonymously or go to a free legal website like (that is 2 v's not a w) and talk to a lawyer or and link on KNOW THE LAWS and see if they have anything that helps

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:35 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

  • Her kids are citizens. Im sure she can apply for a visa. They cant just deport her and her kids go where? Google it.. see what ya find! Call an attorney and ask also. Her kids deserve support.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

  • Wrong :06. She CANNOT be given a visa purely because she has a US citizen child. Yes they DO deport illegals and take away their US citizen children EVERYDAY. Just did it last week to a man in my church. His three young children are in CPS care now because he was trying to get a Visa and was turned down. As for OPs question, yes she can file for child support and the father WILL be required to pay. The government even GETS child support from illegal aliens. Tell her to file ASAP.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

  • Uh, if a illegal woman gives birth in the US than her kids are citizens and she is therefore granted rights and is allowed to stay in the US until her kids are 18

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

  • okay here is the truth since no one knows she does not get rights because of her children BUT she can file to stay since her kids are here.. if she can prove that she has stronger ties to here then her home country and that her kids dont have someone to care for them but her.. THEN YES SHE CAN GET A VISA TO STAY. but either way there shouldnt be a reason for her not to get childsupoort they are not INS they care there to get money for the kids...

    Answer by miss_nevin at 2:48 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN