How much should my 7 month old be eating?

She weighs about 17 pounds now and is 26" long. Doctor said her weight is great. But it seems like shes ALWAYS hungry. Amazingly she eats everything and anything offered to her. Shes been like that since the first time I offered her a spoon(5 months) I swear sometimes it feels like she can just eat with the rest of us and she will eat all her food everytime. Right now she eats oatmeal in the morning. At least a stage 2 fruit cup or dinner. And a dinner and fruit cup at night. She snacks all day. (Doesnt always eat it she kinda gnaws on her lil cookies). And at times she wants our food or another fruit cup or dinner. It seems so sudden. Plus she still drinks breastmilk a few times a day and maybe 6-12 oz of juice. Help am I overfeeding her or is she just going through a growth spurt?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Feed her if/what she wants. She knows when she's hungry and she knows when she's full.

I strongly recommend working to get her a balanced diet, and start giving her table foods. I would also suggest structured snack times. Allowing her to snack all day (even just "gnawing") might be setting you up for feeding problems later as a toddler. Work now for the way you want her to eat when she's older. It's much easier to do it the way you want from the beginning rather than try to change habits later.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:46 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Nurse before the solids, always! Then give her as much as she wants in solids.

This ensures your supply and makes sure she doesn't get constipated. AND you're certain she doesn't miss out on nutrients. Solids fall short, and that's why they're dessert rather than a main meal.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:35 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Feeding seems fine... but she is getting WAY WAY too much juice. Babies really should have much juice and at the very most 4 oz total in a day. I would offer more breastmilk before meals and on demand.. so if she still seems hungry after her baby food then give more milk.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:09 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• well it isn't pure juice. its about half water suggested by the ped to give her less juice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• shes fine my nine month old baby girls eats about the same way ur 7 month old girl does an shes been eating this way since 4 months... the juice i dnt give her a much bc its not good for her teeth but if u feel its not hurting her give it to her u know your baby
    sunbear123

Answer by sunbear123 at 1:55 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My son eats the same way sometimes and sometimes he will get in these mood where he wont eat his babt food where all he wants is is milk and juice and he is 7 months going on 8 I mean some people feel that the juice is bad for them but i say as long as they dont go to bed with the juice then its fine your not ver feeding her she just might be going thur groth spur and just eating like that i know my son will eat like that for a while then change it all up so just trust your gut and talk to your pedi
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:39 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• She is probably growing. Remember, at seven months, the solid foods are more for the experience of eating them, than nutrition; most of babies' nutrition at this age still comes from breast milk. Babies at this age can be eating avocado, sweet potato, banana; avoid the allergy triggers until well after baby's first birthday (this is not a complete list): strawberries, citrus, soy, egg, wheat, dairy.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:30 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My son is 8 months and I only give him baby food twice a day if at all.
    littlemama810

Answer by littlemama810 at 7:40 AM on Apr. 16, 2009