Has anyone served jury duty?

I postponed for months and then I called on Friday, Monday, Tuesday the recording said "You do not have to report for jury duty", Yay! Well guess what, I just now called and they want me to report tomorrow. I feel nervous, I have no nice clothes to wear because all my nice clothes fit too tight, I don't want to drive so I am thinking of taking the express bus..... I feel like it is important to do this because as the orientation said (and made me feel all guilty) "You can be a victim one day and want a jury of your peers"! I did orientation on-line and don't have to be there til 9:30am but I have my child support hearing in another part of L.A. on Monday! Don't you think this is kind of a pain and have you ever served?

Gigi1969

Asked by Gigi1969 at 1:09 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yeah, I actually served on a jury once ( not just went to selection). We got lunch AFTER the jury was selected. I t was a bit of apian, but we got paid for it. And I got called in once and after the how many ever of us they called for jury selection got there, the judge came in and told us that there had been a plea bargain made that morning and our services wouldn't be needed.
    But I would just tell them that you have a court hearing that afternoon and they will excuse you. That is a ligetimate excuse to be let out of jury duty.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 1:33 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Dress like a bum, tell them you're homeless, and ask what time they serve lunch lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• usually when you first go in, they tell you whether or not it will take a couple days. since you're going tomorrow, let them know that you have a court date on monday and they can excuse you. yeah it is a pain in the butt but it's your "civic duty". sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• http://members.cox.net/midian/juryDuty.htm

hehe funny, but it works!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I served once. It was a bit of a pain. I didn't dress up. Just regular clothing. We got to the selection stage and were informed about some of the details of the case. Fortunately there were enough people to seat a jury and have alternates before they got to me. I don't believe lunch is provided until you are actually on a jury. I also brought a lot of stuff to keep me amused while I waited. By all means let them know about your court date. They may only postpone it but you may be excused.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:23 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• just because they call you in doesnt mean you have to serve. it doesnt matter how you dress and if you have a valid excuse they will send you on your way with a letter saying that you appeared. And you still get paid for the day you went.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I know that just because you get a summons you don't have to serve, but it is still a pain to go! I have asked for excuses and I wore out my welcome and was told I have to report or else!
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:37 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My mother served on the Grand Jury for 6 months. She was paid for her time and travel, and hotel. She sit in on drug charges mostly, stupid people!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:37 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• You don't have to worry about what you wear.....and let them know about your court date coming up!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:13 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• my mom just got out of jury duty last week
    It was very hard on her. She had a capital murder case & is responsible for sending a guy to prison for life.. The law is very strange! No one wanted to send him for life, but the only choice they had was life or not guilty!
    (Guy A, Guy B robed someone... My mom was in court just for guy a, who was just there & helped during the robery. Guy B shot the guy twice)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:00 AM on Apr. 16, 2009