Do you think this is rude?

My hubby went to a funeral for a guy he didn't even know at all. This guy was his brothers bio dad, but he has never even met him. He only went so he could hang out with his brothers, not to even be there to console them or anything. He just went to hang out with them. They weren't tore up about it, because they never had much to do with him anyway, but he was their father, but still. Just to hang out?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• men have weird ways of dealing with things...maybe that is all his brothers needed from him.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 1:20 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Men are complex creatures. And usually most(not all) by nature are just emotionally distant when it comes to things like this. The brothers getting together may be their way of coping. I don't think it's rude. True, it may seem "rude" to go to a funeral and not seem torn up on the outside, and regardless if they had any remorse for his passing or not, he was still their father. A father is a very important part of a young man's life and even though they may be mad at him or whatever they feel, maybe in their minds they think "he didn't care about us when he was alive, why should we really care that he's dead?" I'm just speaking hypothetically here.
    They didn't have to go at all, and could have met up at a bar to socialize, so maybe they have some sadness over it, just a different way of showing it. ya know???
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 1:23 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• agree with the pp. he was there for support.
    AddysDogBear

Answer by AddysDogBear at 1:24 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• You'd be surprised at how people see a funeral as an excuse to socialize!
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:39 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I hate to say it, but I never see the majority of my family unless there is a funeral. Sometimes you gotta do what you can to see family...and yes, men are strange creatures. LOL
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 1:53 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I agree with Gigi...Our family has funerals and they end up being one big party at repast, where the food is...
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 2:07 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Hmmm, now that I think about it, every family funeral I have been to has kinda turned into a party too. But with 100+ relatives, that's the only time everyone is together so once the funeral is over, we're at a rented hall somewhere looking at pictures and tellin stories and just being together. I actually prefer it to the somber mourning. It's easier for me.
    britngavin

Answer by britngavin at 2:50 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• He was there for his brothers...on way or another! That was a good thing for him to do, actually. Most people socialize at a wake, even the immediate family except in particularly traumatic deaths. Sometimes all you need are people around you. In my life I have lost many and there was nothing I needed more than having people around me. That showed they cared...
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:11 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Men "grieve" in mysterious ways. :)

If it takes a funeral to get brothers together, then I'm all for it. I think it's sad that the only time people really see their whole family are at funerals. I hope your husband and his brothers had a good time, and I sincerely mean that. ♥
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:21 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• The dad raped someone when they were little. They have always considered their step dad (hubby's real dad) as their father since they have been with him since they were little. They basically just went to pay respect, not to grieve. They didn't really grieve at all. My hubby does see them a lot.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Apr. 16, 2009