Can your obgyn prescribe you clomid or does it necessarily have to be a fertily specialist?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Your OBGYN *might* give you Clomid, but I must stress this. DO NOT trust it if a doctor gives you the prescription and then says "See you in a month or two or three." You are supposed to be monitored while on Clomid because you run the risk of hyperstimulation. My OBGYN knew this and sent me to a Specialist for this reason because OBGYNs can get in trouble if something happens because they are NOT fertility specialists. Also, when you are being monitored, they can tell you the EXACT day your follicles will release as opposed to you just winging it on your own. Sometimes they will even give you a trigger shot if your follicles are mature enough (which can be determined via bloodwork and ultrasound) so that you can trigger ovulation yourself. If your OBGYN gives you Clomid and then tells you to come back months later, please go see another doctor or a specialist.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 1:55 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My OBGYN prescribed provera and the Clomid. I was monitored closely. She also kept me on progesterone for the first 17 weeks of pregnancy. This is for normal irregularity or lack of ovulation for unexplained reasons. If you have PCOS or any other medical issues, you will likely be sent to a specialist.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 9:04 AM on Apr. 16, 2009