At what age can my toddler be allowed at the nursery in hospital

my daughter will be 2 years and 2 months old when my baby is born.I was just wondering at what age are they allowed into hospital/nursery to see the baby or should I introduce them at home?

greenmaniac

Asked by greenmaniac at 1:51 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would imagine that she should be allowed to visit you in your room. as for the hospitals nursery i don't think they would allow her in there. but i'm sure they will allow her into your room and you can introduce baby there. i would try as hard as possible to introduce her there, that way she also gets to see mommy and see that mommy is ok not just disappeared for a few days w/o understanding why. my son is coming in may and my daughter will be coming the day after i deliver her, that way i have time to spend with baby and get over the drugs (scheduled c-section) but she still gets to see me and meet the baby. i also plan on trying to have alone time w/her before the baby comes in that way its not an immediate you can't hug mommy b/c mommy is feeding/changing whatever. it is something i can try to ease her into. don't know if it will work but i guess we'll see
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:58 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• when I gave birth (over 10 yrs ago) the hospital did NOT allow children in the rooms or the nursery. ( being your children, they are allowed.)

my SIL brought 2 of her kid in to see me and my baby- though kids weren;t allowed, she didn;t have to walk past the nurses station to get to my room so no one knew.
    her 3rd child was home with a sinus infection. By the end of the week my newborn was in the hospital in an oxygen tent and getting spinal taps most likely because her 2 well kids brought the sick kids germs in. (her 'well kids' ended up coming down with it too- meaning they were contagious when they came into the hospital room most likely)

there is a reason kids are not allowed in- they carry soo many germs.
    Just be careful.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 2:20 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• most hospitals allow children now though. and if they are your children you are taking the newborn home to that anyways, so they will be exposed to those germs when they get home. i'm not saying don't be careful or arguing with the above post, just that 10 yrs was awhile ago when it comes to medical stuff and there are all kinds of different views on that now.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:47 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My kids were allowed in my room to visit, but not the nursery.

If you limit minor visitors to just your own kids, you're okay. The baby would be exposed to anything the siblings might have as soon as they came home anyway...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:49 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My oldest was 2 yo 11 months old when my second was born. The hospital allowed her to be in the delivery room. I chose not to allow her in there. I think it depends on the hospital. But asa long as the child doesn't have anything contagious they shoudl be allowed in your hospital room.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:16 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• my hospital did room in. Unless there was complication to mom or child you shared the same room.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:17 AM on Apr. 16, 2009