Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Will I get in trouble for going to the police?

Last night my husband and I got into a pretty bad argument. Our 14 month old was sleeping on the couch and I turned to check on her and he yanks my arm and swings me around. I tell him to let go, he grabs tighter and I push him away. Then he starts yelling at me again backing me into a corner and head butts me. Doesn't leave a mark, but he shouldn't have done that. So I go for my phone, and he goes after me. He pries it out of my hand and I run outside to call for help. He grabs me by the neck and yanks me down. I was bending over trying to grab my shoes and he yanks my arm again I try to shake him loose and I end up hitting in the face accidentally giving him a bloody lip. No matter where I went, he was right behind me grabbing on me. I seriously cannot take this anymore and want to call the police. He broke my phone and I have no way to contact anybody. I am also scared he will try to take the girls away if I leave.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:09 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (7)
  • Yes, you should report it to the police and you should get out of the house. If you don't have someplace you can go, find a woman's shelter. You can ask the police for info about a shelter.

    Answer by Marwill at 7:16 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

  • Also, it is higly unlikely he will take the kids away. Ask the police for help in arranging a temporary custody order too.

    Answer by Marwill at 7:17 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

  • YES!!!! Go to the police. That's an awful environment for you and especially your children to be in. That doesn't sound like your husband lost his temper and made one bad move. It sounds like an outright ATTACK. Nobody should be attacked like that. You need to get out and you need to do it now. Even if you feel inwardly that you were a part of the fight, even if you "egged" it on, even if you were throwing doesn't matter. Obviously it's a violent relationship with no respect and it is going to end in disaster if you do not take active steps to fix your life.

    He can not just take your kids away. Get your ass to a women's shelter or a family member or friends house and get a damn good attorney ASAP. Also press charges and get a restraining order. Tell the judge that you are genuinely concerned for your safety and the safety of your children.

    I'm very scared for you.

    Answer by munch12502 at 7:33 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

  • Go to the police. You were defending yourself. Please get help. It won't stop.

    Answer by Teachermom01 at 7:55 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

  • Everyone has the right answers... get help. You were defending yourself. What's next... him doing that to your children?


    Answer by Navymama at 9:47 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

  • That was a very nasty physical assault on you. Tell the police, have him reported and go to a woman's aid/shelter and seek legal advice about your kids.

    Answer by DaffodilFae at 9:53 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

  • I would go to the police and file a report. He put his hands on you first, you were defending yourself. I would imagine he left bruises and marks on you-- those are alot worse than a bloody lip. You need to do what is best for your children (and you). I urge you to GET OUT NOW!!! Take the kids and go to a shelter-- the police might even be able to assist you in going there if you are afraid of him. I would also suggest talking to legal aid about your legal rights (regarding a divorce, child support, custody....division of property). I hope and pray things work out for you and you and the kids stay safe!!!!

    Answer by MizLee at 11:44 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.