can i restart breastfeeding after stopping for 2 days? Is the milk safe for the baby to take?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:13 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The above suggestion, to nurse in front of the mirror, is a great one. I practice public displays of nursing every day and I do not cover. What I have come to find is that people rarely realize that I am nursing because I don't have a blanket over my daughters head. The cover is like a flashing neon sign, 'I'M NURSING HERE! RIGHT HERE! UNDER THIS BLANKET!! NURSING!' If you wear a tank top under your shirt & pull the top one up & the tank top down, it reveals nothing & you can walk around nursing anywhere. (Many nursing tops reveal too much, so try them before you buy them.) Also if you feel self-conscious, think about me. I am walking around the grocery store, my children’s elementary school, the Tampa zoo last week, and anywhere else that I possibly can, with my boob hanging out and my daughter attached to it, hoping that by seeing me do so, someone will feel more confident about nursing their own child.
    carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 9:56 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Why wouldn't it be safe? You most definitely can start nursing again, but be aware that your supply has probably dropped some (how much depends on age of babe and each person). The best way is to put LO to breast and let them nurse as frequently and as long as the want for the next couple weeks. This will hopefully get the supply back to where it needs to be. Why did you stop nursing?
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:20 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Absolutely! Nurse often to get your supply back up, and be sure to drink lots and lots of water. Breweres yeast tabs and fenugreek capsules will also help with supply.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:31 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Absolutely!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:34 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I stopped breastfeeding because i'm not confident at feeding in public and found i wasn't going out at all which isn't fair on the other two children. I now feel guilty and miss the nursing so want to restart.
    twinkle222

Answer by twinkle222 at 8:40 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• As the others have said put baby to breast and get to breastfeeding. Your supply will pick back up but watch the supplementing. Remember that every missed feeding is a missed signal for your milk to increase.

What worries you with NIPing? Perhaps we can all help build your confidence and ability so you become the proud NIPer that every mother deserves to be! Have you tried nursing in front of a mirror to see what others see (nothing)?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• You could try pumping so you can give her a bottle of breastmilk when you're in public.
    That's what I do because I'm not comfortable either.
    I did it for the first time yesterday and it was actually by the river and there was nobody around lol
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 9:21 AM on Apr. 16, 2009