Potty training is going great... but... How to teach her to hold Pee Pee?

My 2 year old started potty training 2 days ego... she is very excited about it and she is getting good at it. She has been telling me and going to pee in the potty everytime since last evening. Yay... i am so excited and so proud of her. She lets me know when its time for pee as well as poop. But the problem is, she doesn't hold her pee for long... every 15 minutes she comes running with a pee request and does infact pee... not much though... I am tired of taking her undies off and rushing to the bathroom every so often. How do I teach her to hold her pee until her bowel is full ? Why is she getting the urge to pee so often? Is she just excited that she is peeing in the potty and wants to do it over and over? Will it get better on its own or do I have to teach her?

SweKrish

Asked by SweKrish at 7:40 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why would you want her to hold it, I think that's unhealthy for anyone to hold their urine. I think you mean how do you teach her to hold it until she gets to the potty. Surely you don't want to wait until her bladder is full. Just be glad she is going like she is and she knows when she gets that urge. In due time she'll be able to hold it like when you are driving or in a store. While she is at home let her go as often as she wants. Practice makes perfect.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 8:20 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• If she feels she has to go, she has to go. Potty training is like everything else for them, a learning process. Telling her now that she can't go when she feels she needs to go is going to probably backfire and you'll start having accidents.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:24 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• She's been used to diapers where when she had to go, she just went---there was no reason to hold it--So just let her go as often as she wants, and she'll eventually be able to longer in between potty breaks.
    Lanasmom

Answer by Lanasmom at 8:37 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Yeah she will get it. Two is still pretty young so the fact that she gets in in her mind doesnt automatically mean her body will follow exactly. ITs a learning process. I think its great shes so interested....my son just turned 3 and he won't poop in the potty at all. He does pee when he feels like it but hes no where near being PT. I am just being patient.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:14 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• It has only been 2 days. She is revelling in your attention and likely thrilled she has found such a good way to be good. Have her practice pulling her own pants up and down so you aren't doing as much for her each time. Then over the next few days start scalling back your reactions a bit each day. Her body will do this on its own and she will do it on her own too as she starts to feel she has mastered it and isn't so worried about it.

I wouldn't do anything different though to get her to hold it you want her to trust her body and her ability to know when she needs to go.
    Aemelia

Answer by Aemelia at 9:57 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• It's the excitement. In the very near future (could be today, could be next week) she will start waiting for longer periods as the fun of getting your attention and going to the potty wears off.

She will also stop telling you that she has to go for the same reason. Putting down her toys or walking away from her play to go to the bathroom is no fun and she will hold it for as long as possible before giving in to the urge to go - usually she'll hold it too long and wet her pants. If you realize it's been awhile since she went or if you see her dancing from foot to foot and you ASK her if she has to go, she will tell you what she wishes were true - NO. And she'll keep denying it until she wets her pants.

Help her be a big kid. Keep an eye on the clock. If it's been more than 2 hours or she is dancing, don't wait for her to tell and don't ask. TELL her it is time to go.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:02 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Let her go nude for a while and teach her not to make puddles, also keep her potty chair (if you use one) in a central location so it's easier for her to get to. This was the easiest way for me to train my oldest and is the same technique I am going to use for my younger son.
    mommyoftwo212

Answer by mommyoftwo212 at 1:31 PM on Apr. 16, 2009