HOW MANY MORE SUICIDES DO WE NEED TO MAKE A CHANGE?

KIDS ARE BEING HARASSED AT SCHOOLS FOR BEING GAY, SOME EVEN IDENTIFY THEMSELVES AS HETEROSEXUALS. THIS IS WHY WE NEED TOLERANCE AND GAY EDUCATION IN SCHOOLS. CHECK OUT MY JOURNAL, WITH THE SAME NAME, THE STORY OF AN 11 YEAR OLD THAT COMMITTED SUICIDE FOR BEING HARASSED AS BEING GAY IN SCHOOL, AND OTHERS. HELP AS PARENTS TO STOP THE MADNESS!

Asked by older at 7:50 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • My daughter knows that men can love men and women can love women...that is what is age appropriate for her to know at 3 years old. I think the only reason people don't want it in schools is because they are prejudice on some level.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:51 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Your journal post didn't say he was actually gay. It just said he was repeatedly called, "gay".

Sounds like he was bullied. If they wouldn't have called him gay and called him something else, would you still be for the "cause"? Kids are constantly bullied. We as parents need to teach our kids to stand up for themselves and look out for each other. Too many people are self consumed and forget to raise their kids.
    I agree bullying needs to be addressed. Bullying needs to be not tolerated. But I see no confirmation that he was actually gay.
    myame

Answer by myame at 7:59 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• The school must know who the kids are who bullied. I would LOVE to see the police goto the school and confront the students AND parents. If nothing else to scare the crap out of them!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:02 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• MYAME, THE KID WAS ONLY 11 YEARS OLD I AM CERTAIN HIS SEXUAL ORIENTATION WAS NOT DEFINED, BUT COMING FROM A CHRISTIAN UPBRINGING THIS CAN BE TRAUMATIC. A BIG PERCENTAGE OF KIDS HARASSED AS BEING GAY IDENTIFY THEMSELVES AS HETEROSEXUALS. THE TRUTH OF THE MATTER IS THAT IT DOESN'T MATTER IF HE WAS GAY OR NOT, THE GAY SLURRS IN SCHOOL NEED TO BE ADDRESSED. IF YOU GO BACK TO MY JOURNAL YOU WILL FIND ARTICLES OF OTHER KIDS.

Answer by older at 8:11 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Its a shame that he was bullied and identified as being gay, but I don't think it needs to be taught in school. It is obvious these children learn these things from home. So it needs to be the responsibility of the parents to educate not the schools on this matter.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 8:27 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• USMC0351WIFE, YOU ARE RIGHT! BUT UNFORTUNATELY IT IS NOT BEING DONE, AND IF IT IS NOT SOMEONE HAS TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. IF YOU TEACH YOUR KIDS TO BE TOLERANT AND SEE GAYS AS PEOPLE LIKE YOU AND ME, THEN THERE SHOULDN'T BE A PROBLEM WITH THE SCHOOLS TEACHING THESE THINGS, THEY PICK UP THE SLACK FOR THOSE WHO DON'T.

Answer by older at 8:38 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I don't think all kids learn hateful behaviour at home. There were plenty of kids who I grew up with that were terrible and their parents weren't like that. And kids can be so cruel, no matter what they are taught at home. I think that tolerance and acceptance should be taught in school ( it already is in my son's school). There are also plenty of homophobic parents out there who are either directly or indirectly teaching their kids to dislike, or even hate gay people, that if it was taught in school, at least kids would get a different point of view on the matter. A kinder, saner, point of view.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 9:09 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I don't think we need to teach about homosexuality in schools at all. I think we need to teach love for one another. Truth is, they could be getting bullied for any number of things, all which could lead to traumatizing thoughts and behaviors. Our insecurity in ourselves helps promote insecurity in our kids and they go to school just to find someone to tease to relieve their own insecurities about themselves. Its a vicious cycle. Personally, I think we should start with the root problem which is US. We need to find out who we are and what we are here for so that we can firmly teach our kids about themselves. We don't feel so badly about it when its our child doing the bullying but we get mean when its our kids being bullied. I know because I have experienced it. My daughter is thin, blonde, pretty, smart...all the things I wanted to be. I am sure she has issues with bullying other girls. We talk about it regularly.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:12 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

_____

X2. I'm so grateful that my daughters school has a full time police officer there.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 9:30 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• We just need to teach our children not to bully for any reason not just being 'gay.'
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 9:43 AM on Apr. 16, 2009