hats on babies?

I was out for a walk yesterday, and my baby (6 1/2) weeks old wasn't wearing a hat.
She had pants, onesie, sweater with hood up, socks, and was wrapped in a thick blanket. She was in the carseat/carrier in the stroller, with two of the foldup shield things covering her. It was also about 15 celcius and very sunny. (I personally was only wearing thin pants and a light jacket that I ended up taking off)
I find when I put hats on her she overheats and when I take it off her she is dripping sweat and her face goes very dark red, almost purple.

My friend was giving me a hard time about her not having a hat on, saying she's going to get sick.
Do you think I should put a hat on her even though they make her sweat?

BambiF

Asked by BambiF at 8:54 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NO, the sweating will make her sick because her body is to hot and trying to cool down. She is your baby and if it makes her hot then leave it off. Our daughter only wore her hat until she was 1 week old because of the same problem. She wont learn to regulate her body temp if her body is sweating over being to hot.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:57 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• No, you are her mother and you know what it best for her. My children rarely wore hats. Unless it was going to be cold or it was really sunny I didn't bother using them. There is no sense in over heating your child just because others think that you should. Use your own motherly judgement, you know what is best for her. No matter what you do, someone will always have a different opinion, which is fine, but you need to only do what you feel is best.

NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 8:58 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Thanks I thought the same thing!
    Her baby is 10 months and wears a thick winter hat on warm sunny days.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 9:08 AM on Apr. 16, 2009