How can I relax and sleep when my 4 month old keeps rolling on his tummy at night?

My 4 month old can roll from back to tummy but has not quite mastered the yummy to back yet. He keeps rolling on to his tummy at night making me a nervous wreck. My other son did this also but was about 6 -7 months old when it started so I was more at ease. The sleep positioners haven't worked he just wiggles his way down and out of them. I don't have any blankets, toys or a crib bumper in the crib. He doesn't have any health problems and there is not any history of SIDS in the family. Any suggestions? Thanks from a mom who can't relax and sleep at night.

AjandTysmom

Asked by AjandTysmom at 9:03 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my dd did this from the time she was born. she's NEVER sleep on her back & she always slept on her stomach & she's fine
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:05 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My little girl sleeps on her stomach as well. She will NOT go to sleep on her back. But anyways she's 3 1/2 months old now and she's perfectly fine. Just don't worry about it.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:08 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Umm have you tried duct taping her down so she will be stuck on her back?? lol just joking. Usually if they can roll and put themselves in that position they are fine to sleep on their tummy. Your just not suppose to put them that way.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 9:09 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• It's nothing you can control. If it's keeping you up at night, may I suggest sleeping in the crib with him? I'd hate to promote the horrid bed-sharing that we practice in my home which allows us all to get a comfortable, happy, peaceful nights sleep. You may get uncomfortable in his crib though! I'm just razzing you! The constant worry is why my babies all slept with me. I envision all kinds of night horrors.
    carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 9:16 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• almost 1, and I still lay my son on his back, but since he was about 5 months old he flipped right over to his belly. after a while I laid him on his side and he was comfy like that. even if they can only roll one way, once they've mastered it, the risk of SIDS decreased since they can get comfy on their own! so continue laying her down on her back, or maybe try swaddling her. if she rolls onto her tummy, maybe try positioning her on her side
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:27 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Listen.. if he's rolling over that means he can keep his head up for a short time and if he's doing that, then stop worring. My twin girls did the samr thing thing , just be sure their isn't any thing for him to get tangled in and get the sleep when he's sleeping :)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 10:27 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Sometimes, there are babies who are just more comfortable sleeping on their stomach. As long as you don't have anything he can press his face into, he should be fine. My son absolutely hated sleeping on his back and as soon as I would flip him over, he slept so much better. Just let him do his thing and in another month or two he will have mastered rolling the other way and you won't have to worry about it all.
    mommyoftwo212

Answer by mommyoftwo212 at 1:28 PM on Apr. 16, 2009