Would you get upset if someone said this about your baby?

My mil and fil haven't talked to us since the baby was born. We happened to see them at a family get together for Easter. My son is have some learning problems and we are so proud of him each time he does something new. He just started crawling recently and you can see the excitement on his little face when he crawls. My mil asked when he started crawling and we told her about a month ago. She started going on about what a lazy baby he was. I just looked at her and told her that he wasn't lazy and took him and moved across the room. They don't talk to us so they don't know all that we have been through the past few months and to call him a lazy baby just really upset me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would have been mad too. I would also have told her off. He is a baby, people expect to much out of kids these days.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Wow.

I would not have my child around her if she is going to call him lazy when hes a baby. Can you imagine what she will be like when he is older?

He's a baby!!!!!!! He isn't lazy - he is learning at his own pace...

Sorry you had to hear that from your MIL of all people.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 9:10 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Yes this would have made me very upset. I still get upset when someone says something that I disagree with about my 6 year old and my 2 year old who is still on the bottle. So I get remarks all the time.
    tshortt

Answer by tshortt at 9:10 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Mad would not have been the word for it. STUPID inlaws would be the word I would use.

UGGGG, how hateful. I would be pissed infinitely!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:13 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• OP Here. It took a lot for me not to start yelling at her but it was Easter and I tried to keep civil. I was hoping they wouldn't show up. They are always so negative, I try to stay far away from them and let their comments roll off. But this one is sticking with me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• If your son is having some struggles, and she is aware of it, she should NEVER have said that...not in a million years.

If you haven't told her anything, she might have just been trying to explain away the delay? I obviously didn't hear the tone, but I have heard plenty of people call their own babies lazy...I am one. My first daughter was the laziest child in the world. I never thought she was going to crawl...she didn't care a thing about it.

Try not to let it get to you. Hopefully you don't have to deal with them very often so there is no sense in staying mad about it...it ruins your day and mood.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:28 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• LAZY??? What a rude comment. I have Inlaw issues too so I know how you feel. Just remember that ALL babies are different and I have a child who is mildly autistic and all that matters is that your baby is happy and healthy. Who cares if he crawls late or walks late? Just love him and ignore those people!
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 9:32 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Thankfully you don't really associate with her. Her comment was just a reminder of why she is not in your life. I would be more hurt then anything, especially like you said, she has no idea what you guys have been through. You are doing a beautiful job. Your son knows you are proud and that's all that matters.
    schalupsky

Answer by schalupsky at 10:07 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I can see how that would be a rude comment from someone who had any clue what was going on with him. But seeing as your MIL has no ideas the issues he has or the challenges he has overcome she can't really know how hurtful it was. I am sorry it hurt your feelings but really you can't get too upset when she really had no idea. I doubt your son was hurt by what she said or understood it. You did the right thing by walking away. The way you handled it he was likely completely unaware but had you started a fight it would have gotten his attention and understanding of her words or not he would have understood and been scared if you had started yelling.

Good for you for keeping your cool. Hopefully it will be another year before you are exposed to them again.
    Aemelia

Answer by Aemelia at 10:09 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Whether or not she knew about his delays, what an incredibly awful thing to say to anyone! She doesn't deserve to be around him. You have every right to be upset and you should keep your son far away from that woman.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 10:13 AM on Apr. 16, 2009